• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Pumps or 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gentleman

I have recently bought the Hydor L30 pump. I was using the L20 before. I was wondering if I should even bother to use both pump in my setup? Would I see a significant improvement?

Thx

You can but I doubt you would see a significant improvement unless your system is bogged down with multiple blocks and rads. If you run them in series, I would make the L20 the first in the series but might not make a difference either way.

I think it would be best to just use one. The L30 should be powerful enough, and if you have 2 pumps, that is 2x the pump heat added to the water, for a small improvement in flow rate.

seems to me that running them in series, one right after the other could actually hurt water flow. i mean the l20 doesnt pump as much as the l30... so either the l30 is gonna be shorted on waterflow, or the l20 is going to restrict the flow from the l30. now if you put them on opposite sides of your flow loop (so to speak) with a bunch of blocks and multiple radiators, then you might see some improvement. i dunno.

It really depends what you need.. an L30 by itself should be just fine. Running them both would probably add more heat to your loop and negate the difference made by having 2 pumps.

If you want to give it a try, you can run them in series or parallel depending on what you need:

Series: Increase in head pressure (good for restrictive systems)
Parallel: Increase in flowrate (I believe...) (good for not so restrictive systems)

Series is usually reccomended, in which case I would put the L20 first, feeding into the L30, however with the imbalance in specifications, the performance yield may actually be negative...

i was thinking about running 2 pumps with a fedco 2-302 rad going to 3 water blocks, with no res. you think 2 pumps is too much or just get one biggie?

I'd use both... The L30 isn't going to be able to keep up with all that restriction assuming you're using a WW/RBX/TDX/6002/6000 WB... Even 3 low restriction blocks would be pushing it IMO.

BTW, my MCP600 may push half the water L30 pushed at zero restriction, but in a single block (WW) loop, it sure pushes a heck of a lot more water than my l30 ever did... The L20's flowrate compares to the MCP600, and since the MCP600 works well in a restrictive setup, I feel the L20 will only add to performance levels, NOT subtract.

Back