• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File/Backup Server software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glebka11

I was thinking a lot about backup solutions after i lost my hard drive and had to recover from like 7 CDs,

I found a potential backup solution which would be fast enough, and best of all there would be no need in losing a huge amount of time on writing the backups to cds as well as spending money on them.

The solution I found is building a file server or in other words backup server.

I looked up in google but I didnt find anything which will allow me to:

1) have linux operating system on the server (performance...)
2) have client/server interface with sheduled back ups.
3) have the linux version very lite for not spending expensive disk space on useless OS packages (I know i can just skip them, but why not find something which is born for that?)

If there is no linux solution (although i doubt that), windows is OK too ;)

Basicly, what i want is your suggestions.

EDIT: any other live backup utilities suggestions are wellcomed too

Last edited:
I use the Linux backup server option; it really is a very good way to go. I think that there are (non-GUI) Linux applications that do what you want, but I can't remember their names, I'm afraid.

However, you don't actually need the backup software to be on the backup server - I ran it fine for years using NTBackup on one of the other machines on the network, running 2KPro. It's not the best solution, but it's much better than backing up with CDs.

EDIT: If you do this, make sure that you use a crossover cable (if you'll only be connecting one computer to the backup server) or a switch (if you're planning to connect more), and not a hub, since a (passive) hub will be very slow for large file transfers.

Last edited:
I was thinking of something which will backup without my notice.
I have a lot of really important files on my PC, and they are being updated every day, so i need 1 - 2 hour interval between synchronization.

Would be great to find something. Even for windows based server. I really need this urgent, so i dont care now :)

Some applications (such as OpenOffice.org and CorelDraw!) will save files to multiple locations (normal and backup) automatically. That is a very useful feature, I find. If your important files that update regularly are handled by such an application, then that might be a way to go.

If your operation is really mission-critical, however, have you considered RAID-1?

ok,
I didnt explain everything right.
So this is the situation.

I have Pentium 3 machine with a lot of very important files (which by the way dont take much space, 100 - 300MB).
It runs windows 2003 (similar to XP).

I do not have the money or the will to get only back up, for its cost mainly. (even the cheapest will cost 10$ a month, and even if would like it, i dont have a VISA card yet).

Now, i am making a Pentium 200 mod. Basicly i am just making an ultra small case for that. This will be the backup network machine. It is going to have a big hard disk, and a network card and video.
Basicly a only-network PC.

I want it to comunicate with my current windows PC.

Now, we are getting to the software part.
Due to linux speed, in my opinion it is better to install linux on the machine, but if there is no distro which made particulary for this kind of job, ill pick windows.

But i need to find a client-server software for backing up.
I need it to back up every few hours ot on demand.

Ok i desided.

Fileserver: SecureLin, Samba, FTP Server, HTTP control.
Client PC: Auto Backup

Back