• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does StyleXP v2 work on W2K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toasty_Squirrel

Pretty basic question:

I've got a 2K box and I'm tired of looking at its extremely boring interface, it's fricken ugly after using it for nearly 25,000,000 years! :bang head

Does anyone know off hand if Style XP v.2 is compatable on a 2K (sp4) install? (and no, I'm not going to upgrade this computer to XP)

Thanks guys/gals! :attn:

-Toasty

Yea, XP has a new system of styles. They are actually stored as bitmaps in *.msstyles files. AFAIK everything before windows XP can only have the taskbar, toolbars, etc. as one solid color, well except for the titlebars.

-Andy

you can use windowblinds, or you could use a shell replacement like litestep. I think those are your only two options. Windowblinds is quite good though.

Needitcooler said:
Unfortunately not. That is why they call it style "XP". Sorry dude.

Yeah, I thought that might have been the case but figured asking couldn't hurt. I'll take a look into Windowblinds though. Anyone know how bad of a resource hog it is? Or for that matter Litestep (never heard of that one before).

litestep is supposed to be lighter, faster, and more stable than explorer, or atleast than the explorer that came with win98... I really dont know a whole lot about it, but it is quite a bit of work to setup and get used to, since its an entire shell replacement. Windowblinds can be a bit of a resource hog... but not too horrible. With a half gig of ram it shouldnt hurt you at all.

Back