• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant get these 2 movies to work...what program???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

i have 2 .mpg svcd movies. they wont play in wmp, winamp, divx, or quicktime. what will play them?

SVCD is a super video cd thingy. You can possibly play it using real player like dice suggested, or turn it into a Mpeg using the appropiate software. A DVD player might play it, but if you don't have DVD then you might consider using Blaze 2.0 or follow this link.... http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=11#11 it has alot of players to choose from.

download the nimo codec pack... Select a complete install, but then manually deselect the g400 filter and bicubic resizer. I haven't come across anything that I cannot play with this codec pack. I use an old version however also, and I believe some of the newer versions may contain spyware with the divx5 codecs... So you may want to exclude installing the divx5 pro version also.

Warning : The free "Pro" version of the DivX 5.0 codec (contained in this codec pack) contains adware/spyware, which means that third party programs must be installed in order for this program to work during DivX encoding (DivX playback does not require the adware/spyware programs to be runnning). These third party programs are programs that displays advertising on your computer and/or retrieves information from your computer about your browsing/purchasing habits.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html

Pollux said:
i have 2 .mpg svcd movies. they wont play in wmp, winamp, divx, or quicktime. what will play them?

svcd is encoded in mpeg2 while vcd is encoded in traditional mpeg1 or the just leave the 1 out and its normally known as mpeg. this is a VERY common misconception. this means you need that mpeg2 codec. once you have the codec wmp should play it no problems. i 'think' powerdvd has mpeg2 codec included with the installation.

You are correct. I wouldn't install the nemo codec pack because I've heard it can cause problems with codecs and filters conflicting whith each other. You can download VLC as suggested. It is a very nice program which can play about anything.

Also to get it working in WMP, winamp, etc you can download an MPEG 2 codec. Some of them cost money but I found out that the MPEG 2 decoder I use for my PVR works great at decoding DVDs too. Go to this page and scroll down to where it says WinTV video decoder update. Download that and install it and you'll be good to go, even if you don't have a PVR.

good luck,
-Andy

there is another plain jane version of software out there called allplayer. Normally when you have this type of problem you need codecs installed i have the nemo codec pack installed and divx

attitudx said:
there is another plain jane version of software out there called allplayer. Normally when you have this type of problem you need codecs installed i have the nemo codec pack installed and divx

yeh but this problem is 100% codec related and 0% player related. after dling the mpeg2 codec it'll play on already existing wmp or whatever else he uses.

b0bby said:
yeh but this problem is 100% codec related and 0% player related. after dling the mpeg2 codec it'll play on already existing wmp or whatever else he uses.
IIRC Some players (like VLC) have built-in MPEG decoders.

Read my post and use that codec insted of installing the nemo pack.

Back