• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob to oc'ing memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

I have my processor oc'd, but I havent done anything to my memory, mainly because I am a noob when it comes to oc'ing memory. what does oc'ing memory do besides the obvious speed increase and what are the adv/disadv fo doing so. I would like to start dabling in that if it will make a noticable difference.

Also if you have a higher FSB your system will perform a lot better than what it did before, granted you have low timings since you're using an AMD system... Just try to slowly increase the FSB while trying to keep your FSB as low as possible...

DaMobster said:
Also if you have a higher FSB your system will perform a lot better than what it did before, granted you have low timings since you're using an AMD system... Just try to slowly increase the FSB while trying to keep your FSB as low as possible...

Hehe I think you meant... whhile trying to keep timings as low as possible. :)

Amplifier said:
The main reason for overclocking ram is to keep in sync with your cpu.

As he said keeping the memory in sync with the cpu lets the cpu send info through the memory with less "lag" because the memory is slower than the cpu bus. Well that will always be the case because the cpu cache is about 10x as fast as your system memory.......but every thing you can do to limit the effects of this will show improvements.

So keep the ram in 1:1 and raise the fsb slowly. Read the sticky threads at the top of the forum....they have all the info you will need if you get stuck

Steve

Back