• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What about ocing with this ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hedge

Registered
I am about to oc for the first time as soon as my new nf7-s v2 and my 2500+ get here in a day or so. I have 1 gig of infineon pc2300 ddr sdram (2x512mb)that i'll be using for a while. Will this work ok for a bit or is it hopeless till I get better ram?

It will work for a bit as you can change the mem/fsb ratios so that you don't need to overclock your ram. However, for optimal performance, you'll want to get some better ram.

NF7 wont overclock well with 2x512MB dimm installed. Your best bet would be to test how high you can overclock in dual channel and benchmark it. Then see how much further you can go if you put the ram into single channel. Benchmark that and see which is faster for your system. As I've seen it happen on my board I can tell you that not only is dual channel not worth it, but it really limits the max overclock you can get out of your memory on that board

Steve

mrspec3 said:
NF7 wont overclock well with 2x512MB dimm installed. Your best bet would be to test how high you can overclock in dual channel and benchmark it. Then see how much further you can go if you put the ram into single channel. Benchmark that and see which is faster for your system. As I've seen it happen on my board I can tell you that not only is dual channel not worth it, but it really limits the max overclock you can get out of your memory on that board

Steve

Interesting point. I just assumed that dual was better to this point but I will definetly check it out. If this turns out to be true that will at least save me some money later on with buting better expensive ram. And it saves me from having to buy the wife a new stick :clap: . thanks guys for the replies

Back