• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Memory Upgrade - Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiddisaster

Registered
I have a gig (2 x CMX512-3200LL) of Corsair DDR400, 2-3-2-6. I have been mostly happy with this ram although i think its one of the main reasons i can't push my cpu harder. I am interested in upgrading to Dual Channel DDR.

To give you guys a quick idea at what I'm looking at:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=SE3WLW68N3USXA8E

As you can see, the machine itself is pretty sexy but its just screaming to be overclocked. With my ram at 2-3-2-6, however, I have a very hard time increasing the cpu/ram/video ratio. Hence, me seeking advice from the lords of overclocking.

Here's what I need from you fine folks:

--Would the upgrade actually make a difference...in anything?

--What are the top choices for Dual Channel DDR400? Right now, I'm assuming Corsair XMS. I'm interested in 2x512. Money isn't a huge issue.

--Would the upgrade let me push my cpu harder?

*note: DDR2 is not an option right now. I am strickly looking at Dual Channel DDR400.

Thanks In advance to all that reply:

-dave

kiddisaster said:
I have a gig (2 x CMX512-3200LL) of Corsair DDR400, 2-3-2-6. I have been mostly happy with this ram although i think its one of the main reasons i can't push my cpu harder. I am interested in upgrading to Dual Channel DDR.

To give you guys a quick idea at what I'm looking at:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=SE3WLW68N3USXA8E

As you can see, the machine itself is pretty sexy but its just screaming to be overclocked. With my ram at 2-3-2-6, however, I have a very hard time increasing the cpu/ram/video ratio. Hence, me seeking advice from the lords of overclocking.

Here's what I need from you fine folks:

--Would the upgrade actually make a difference...in anything?

--What are the top choices for Dual Channel DDR400? Right now, I'm assuming Corsair XMS. I'm interested in 2x512. Money isn't a huge issue.

--Would the upgrade let me push my cpu harder?

*note: DDR2 is not an option right now. I am strickly looking at Dual Channel DDR400.

Thanks In advance to all that reply:

-dave

:confused: Ummmm....any RAM can be Dual-channel. There is not specific type. You can get your RAM in DC right now, if it isnt already. What *you* need is *faster* RAM, not DC.

But personally, run your CPU on dividers. that way you can get your CPU higher.

Also, what CPU? If u are on an Intel, I suggest you look at either a fast PC4200 or 4400 for your OCing adventure.

Finally that video card has got to go. Either buy a next-gen or a 9800PRO / XT. The FX series blows

also....

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!
...and the sickness:eek:

The motherboard is an Abit IC7-MAX3. The site still has its limits at DC DDR400. The cpu is Intel P4, 3.2. Thanks for trashing FX, but my little 5950 chugs pretty hard, hard enough to be replaced for awhile.

The PC3200 ram i have now, i bought about 6 months before Dual Chan Ram came out. Are you telling me that I can still run this ram as dc? I had a strong impression that ram had to be "dc compliant" in order to take advantage of it.

thanks again-

kiddisaster said:
The motherboard is an Abit IC7-MAX3. The site still has its limits at DC DDR400. The cpu is Intel P4, 3.2. Thanks for trashing FX, but my little 5950 chugs pretty hard, hard enough to be replaced for awhile.

The PC3200 ram i have now, i bought about 6 months before Dual Chan Ram came out. Are you telling me that I can still run this ram as dc? I had a strong impression that ram had to be "dc compliant" in order to take advantage of it.

thanks again-

Sorry, I didnt know you already had one. I too had an FX. I thought you were about to buy one. Dual-channel is mobo limited. If your mobo supports DC than you RAM will support it too. Im pretty sure your RAM is in DC right now. Check your mobo manual. It should say.

Good luck OCing that thing. You should have a kick *** rig going. Just run your CPU on dividers and keep the RAM at around 220mhz

I am sure the motherboard supports it, but if what you say is right, and i can turn on dual channel by pressing a few keys, i think that....i just might **** myself with the excitement of not having to burn 400 bucks on new RAM.

kiddisaster said:
I am sure the motherboard supports it, but if what you say is right, and i can turn on dual channel by pressing a few keys, i think that....i just might **** myself with the excitement of not having to burn 400 bucks on new RAM.

Get ready to change your pants then :D

I honestally think you are already in DC as we speak. But if you have $400 to burn, there are plenty of upgrades that will help with games like Doom3.

http://www.cpuid.com/

Run that and check the "Memory" tab. It will tell you if you are SC or DC. My guess is ur in DC. :santa:

okay, i ran that little program and it says i am running single. i am going to see what i can do and hopefully get dc turned on.

sounds like you might have to put the memory in either slots 1+3 or 2+4 to get it going if that isn't already done.

alright you badasses...it worked...worked well. i feel like such a DUMB****. :bang head No wait, actually
I'm ****ed off...at all the RAM companies that try to market dual channel DDR as a seperate product.
I could have been on DC for 6 months. :mad:

I owe you guys a big thanks. I am at 3.61GHz now with 1:1. feels so fly!

Don't feel bad. If you're running your ram at the same speed as your FSB, then DUAL CHANNEL DOES NOTHING.

The effects of dual channel only become apparent when you run the CPU fsb faster than the memory. (And please, anyone who wants to argue this, right now this minute go download a copy of memtest, burn it to cd, and boot and do your own tests, THEN come back and argue after you see the numbers.)

Dual Channel eliminates most of the performance hit from running the memory slower than the FSB. What this means to YOU is that you can now run your memory at a fraction of your FSB and push your chip, since you think your memory is holding you back. For example, if your memory is really only stable at 200 mhz or close to it, but your cpu + m/b can comfortable hit 230 mhz, you could run the memory at 80% of the FSB, and not lose much bandwidth over memory running at the fsb freq.

Anyway, I highly suggest downloading an iso of memtest and using it for quick and dirty tests of changes, it gives a memory bandwidth number immediately after boot.

Back