• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-8KNXP & ATI 9700Pro Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sanstorm

:attn: Firstly, hello everyone. I have a problem that I can not seem to cure. Maybe you guys can?
Recently installed 8KNXP (Rev 2.0) with Hercules ATI Radeon 9700XP Pro card & SP2: everything works fine except when you load the motherboard Intel chipset (875P) inf drivers.
After reboot the graphics are so corrupted that you can barley make out whats on screen.
I have isolated this problem to the following device and file:
'Intel 82875P Processor to AGP Controller - 2579'. Found in system devices.
This utilises and starts the file AGP440.sys. It seems to be this Intel inf update that causes the graphics corruption on the 9700Pro. If I return this to the original device driver of ' PCI standard PCI-to-PCI Bridge', the graphics are okay again: I also have a Sapphire ATI 9500 that does the same, so its not the cards? Tried with Win XP SP1: Tried with Different PSU:
This problem does not arise when a GF2 MX400 card is used and all Intel drivers can be loaded and run.

Brief System spec:
Intel P4 3.2 Prescott
GA-8KNXP (Rev 2.0)
2x 512mb Samsung DDR400
PSU CWT550w
Herc ATI 9700Pro 128mb (worked fine in GA-SINXP)
2x SATA 160Gb Seagate Bara
Gigabyte 3D Cooler Ultra PCU31-VH CPU Fan

Also the CPU seems to run hot at around 60c in the bios, which is low considering the intel cooler ran it at 75c
Has anyone come across this before?
cheers
Ant

That is very strange. If the knxp boards had problems with the AGP drivers, then we would all be complaining. Are you sure that it isn't a software conflict or something (possibly nvidia/ati conflict). I have a rev 1 board but I would imagine that I would be more likely to have problems over you. Could something be wrong with the motherboard itself? And as for the temps...it is a prescott, it will run pretty warm but in the bios the processor isn't used too much, so those temps may be right. I also think that there is a new bios for those prescott cores (maybe a newer bios will also address those AGP woes). Try updating the bios and see if that addresses your issues.

Thanks for your comments & advice

:bang head I agree the problem is odd, considering I have installed XP 3 to 4 times now. The last effort being the ghost backup copy of my original Win XP Pro SP1 that I had on my GA-SINXP1394 board. :thup: This copy now updated to SP2 is working fine apart from the 'processor to agp controller ' issue. You mention a later Bios? Do you mean for the mobo as i have the latest on Gigabytes web site installed version 'FH'. The board is brand new and shouldn't be having these problems. I do notice the IRQ allocation is allowing the USB1.1 & Display card to share an IRQ, and from my experience with ATI they do not like sharing IRQ or memory address. I can not see a way to move the usb1.1 controller to a different IRQ. Again very odd because disabling the USB1.1 does not remove it from the IRQ list and it still shows in the Bios allocation table?!?
again thanks for your advice but I may have to email Gigabyte with the problem.

Ant

I forgot to mention. The board has No problem with Nvidia GF2 card, so maybe its an ATI problem as you mentioned :thup: . I have a Nvidia FX5200 in my daughters system i may try that later to see if that also works okay? :confused:

I had the exact same configuration as yourself for about 3 months and did not have the issue you specify. Are you using the newest chipset drivers from Intel? Have you/or can you find older chipset drivers, maybe those that came with the motherboard to test and see if those work?

My file version for agp440.sys is the following:

5.1.2600.0(xpclient.010817-1148). If you have a different one or feel that the one I have may be of some help, let me know and I will send it.

try to use the last oficial drivers from intel and the last no-oficial drivers.
look at intel.com for the drivers and here for the last no-oficial drivers
also, you can try to use the catalyst 4.8beta. over here

Thank You For your replies

Hi,
I gave up and returned the board to the supplier, who tested it and found the same problems as me.
Thanks for the advice, I have been able to confirm the AGP Bus on this board is/was faulty. Every time the board was asked to use the AGP bus after installing the Intel Chipset drivers it would fall over. I am now waiting for a replacement to arrive from Gigabyte UK.
Cheers
Sanstorm

Back