• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I upgrade from me to xp without a format?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

I'm currently running winme and I love it. However since microsoft dropped support of it and ati is no longer making drivers for me I am becoming forced to upgrade. I have no burner and alot of programs/savegames installed that I don't want to loose. My question is can I upgrade to winxp without fromatting my harddrive just like I did from win95-98 back in the day?

You could but I would not recommend it. The first thing you'll want to do, however is go here and make sure that your hardware can handle XP. Then, when it comes time to spend the money, get a DVD-RW and an OEM copy of XP with it, backup all of your files and then install XP on an NTFS partition. NTFS is far more reliable and faster than FAT32. Once you have a nice, clean copy of XP installed, you'll wonder how you ever were able to deal with ME.

If you insert the XP CD then it offers you the option of checking your system for possible issues - great for making sure XP will work! If XP gives it the all clear you can either install over an existing ME installation or reformat and do a clean install.

I would recommend the clean install though. Keep it simple, plus get the smoothness of a nice clean windows install :) Its like clearing out a dusty cupboard, reformatting and reinstalling...

Back