• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ballistix equals crap! Well overclocking wise at least

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

Well the PC4000 does stock speeds no problem. Try and overclock and you will have weird issues REGARDLESS of voltage. Returning it. Totally not satisfied.

Voltage didnt help? Very odd. I never trusted their BGA PC4000 anyway. You might have better luck with the PC3200 instead?

nah im done with experimenting with expensive ram. I just RMAed the ram and going to order a gig of kingston valueram. Voltage did not help and timings did not help either. man waste of my time

situman said:
nah im done with experimenting with expensive ram. I just RMAed the ram and going to order a gig of kingston valueram. Voltage did not help and timings did not help either. man waste of my time

Its fun messing with expensive stuff then it gets boring some how lol

situman said:
Well the PC4000 does stock speeds no problem. Try and overclock and you will have weird issues REGARDLESS of voltage. Returning it. Totally not satisfied.

yeah, ive heard this stuff isnt special, wouldnt be surprised if the pc3200 and the pc4000 have the same chips. so its probably hit its limits

well at 3.24vdimm i can run 2-2-2-8 but no way was it prime stable. errors out in 1 minute. i didnt even bother mem test. it can run pc3200@2226 but seriously i can care less what it can do at pc3200 with a p4

feels cheap and light to the touch (cause of the aluminum heatspreaders?) sigh...i was hoping for some great memory.

situman said:
feels cheap and light to the touch (cause of the aluminum heatspreaders?) sigh...i was hoping for some great memory.

Hahaha buying memory based on weight... OCZ memory would win the majourity of the time with copper spreaders, and they are hella thick too.

Or buying memory by the pound, $200 for 2 pounds of memory. That would be sweet.

Tebore said:
Hahaha buying memory based on weight... OCZ memory would win the majourity of the time with copper spreaders, and they are hella thick too.

Or buying memory by the pound, $200 for 2 pounds of memory. That would be sweet.

You might get a kick out of this.

Not too long ago, I lamented that the price of ram had gotten so expensive, that it was probably worth its weight in gold. One of the guys, and I can't remember whom, took me up on it and weighted some of his ram and then calculated its cost per gram and guess what...it WAS worth its weight in gold. Came out to about $380-$400 per ounce (ballpark).

How's that for funny (it really shouln't be funny that ram costs us as much as gold, but it does if you buy high end stuff)?

Tebore said:

Those lame corsairs sticks with the LED's must weigh more

situman said:
well at 3.24vdimm i can run 2-2-2-8 but no way was it prime stable. errors out in 1 minute. i didnt even bother mem test. it can run pc3200@2226 but seriously i can care less what it can do at pc3200 with a p4
^^ Did you return them yet. That is damn good for a stick of mT. Try running 3-2-2-11. See what that does.

Micron hates Cas2 and dosnt run it worth a damn at all. By the way... Cas3 on Micron sticks. = Cas2 on Winbond

Sentential said:
^^ Did you return them yet. That is damn good for a stick of mT. Try running 3-2-2-11. See what that does.

Micron hates Cas2 and dosnt run it worth a damn at all. By the way... Cas3 on Micron sticks. = Cas2 on Winbond

It's not the same micron as the OCZ EB stuff so it should do cas 2 fine. Also cas 3 doesn't equal cas 2 on winbond. Cas 2 winbond = EB from OCZ.....it's all about the SPD :D

mrspec3 said:
It's not the same micron as the OCZ EB stuff so it should do cas 2 fine. Also cas 3 doesn't equal cas 2 on winbond. Cas 2 winbond = EB from OCZ.....it's all about the SPD :D

^^ Actually it *IS* the same thing. Its just a later revision. *You* are thinking of Samsung TCCD. Try cas3 and see what happens.

No I'm not thinking of the samsung they overclock much better than this ram. Even if this is a different rev of the mT's it's a totally different bag

mrspec3 said:
No I'm not thinking of the samsung they overclock much better than this ram. Even if this is a different rev of the mT's it's a totally different bag

Its just speed binned... does anyone have a picture of the RAM? I am 99.9% positive that it is mT -5B C. Which means *no Cas2*

and BTW, I am running mT on my PC :p

Sentential said:
Its just speed binned... does anyone have a picture of the RAM? I am 99.9% positive that it is mT -5B C. Which means *no Cas2*

and BTW, I am running mT on my PC :p

No, micron redid the the mT for the Balistix series to do CAS 2. It's not the same stuff as the EB chips.

Tebore said:
No, micron redid the the mT for the Balistix series to do CAS 2. It's not the same stuff as the EB chips.

Ah, very interesting. I might pick some up if it does ok. Any other results besides situman?

___

Situman I would try softening the timings, see what gives. It may be possible to do more at 2.5-3-3-11 @ 270 or so, which is still damn good.

Back