• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot.Ini

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DayUSeX

Where is this and how can i change it so i no longer have two xp pro choices upon boot. thnx

Under "System Properties" | "Advanced" tab | "Startup and Recovery" (Settings button) | "Edit" button...the Boot.ini looks like this when XP is the only available boot option...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) | WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) | WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home (or Professional) Edition" /fastdetect

...I used the "Pipe"(|) character in the "boot loader" menu above instead of the "slash"(\) character, so it would be properly formatted.

When you see "Unidentified OS" or a second instance of the same OS/any other OS as a boot menu option, you'll need to delete the last line in the Boot.ini that starts with..."C:\Unidentified operating system on drive C." (or whatever happens to be the second OS choice in your particular case), save the file and reboot.

On a side note, you can also edit the Boot.ini from the Recovery Console using the bootcfg command.

Last edited:
Back