• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp Users, Come Here To Help Me!!1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

termin@tor

Long story short:

Norton found "addware" in an important system file, so I deleted it. You can figure out the rest.

If anyone is willing to help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Can you please find the file "apicn.exe" without the quotes. It should be in your WINDOWS/system32 folder.
If you are willing to send it to me via e-mail, pm me.

Thnx

Hmmm... I don't know... when I boot up, it says it can't find that file and then I have to wait a couple of minutes to actually get all my icons and everything... hmmm weird.

Most likely you have a bad removal of the addware and there is a command somewhare being run at startup to run that exe. Run msconfig.exe and look at whats going on in the startup tab. The stuff you are looking for would most likely be a regestry entry that ends with run or runonce . If that dosent work someone here will be able to get you into the regestry or other places to look. But I suspect msconfig will do it for you.

You can restore a deleted file from the XP CD by using the expand command. Here is some info:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prgg_det_pvfh.asp

The syntax would be like:

expand d:\i386\apicn.ex_ c:\windows\system32\apicn.exe

(obviously assuming d is your cd drive and i386 is the folder where the compressed file is...you might have to search the cd for apicn.ex_ The article explains it)

Mr.Guvernment said:
i dont have that file either - it was liekly delete and was NOT a system file - as metioned check your msconfig startup tab and kill evrthign in that except your antivirus - also run Spy Bot search and destroy.

not sure if this threads helps

http://daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread7937.html

So you don't have the file either? Must not be a real system file. I'm currently on a Win98 machine at work so I couldn't check.

You need to remove the reference to the apicn.exe file from the registry, that is what is hanging you.

Run hijackthis and it will tell you the location of the reference and allow you to remove it.

Hmm... at first I thought the same -- that it was some one-time-run process that starts, but it's not in msconfig, and I ran hijackthis and it's not there. I guess I'll just leave it like it is because I'm going to be reformatting the computer in about 5 days anyway, plus everything is working perfectly like it's supposed to, and I'm not planning on rebooting anytime soon. Thanks for all the help though.

It might not be in runonce, it might be in another one of the similar startup keys.

I might not waste my time chasing it down though either, if I was due for a reformat anyways. :)

Back