• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling lian-li v2100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lakin

Registered
My Lian-Li V2100 arrived yesterday, and as it is way larger than my old mid-tower, i can now give water cooling a go. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on the components and how to go about it.
I have attached a photo of the case. The tape measure is showing where i was thinking of putting the radiator. I figure, if i remove the hdd mounts and the vertical separator, i can fit a ThermoChill HE120.3 along the bottom, with just a little bit of overlap of the front wheels. (In that pic, the tape measure is at 370mm, so the final 50mm of the thermochill would be overlapping the front wheels). I would then have the pump sitting on top of the psu, with the tubing coming through a hole by the cpu fans/120mm, to then go in series through the gpu, both cpus and back to the bottom section.
Any thoughts on this so far? Would going through the waterblocks like that be ok? Im worried the last cpu would be quite hot after a gpu and cpu. Both cpus are 2.8 xeons, and the gpu would probably be a geforce 6800 gt (i wont be getting that for a month or so).
The fans cooling the he120.3 would probably be 3 ys-tech fans (Speed: 2800RPM - Output: 125CFM - Decibels: 40.5dBA - Dimensions: 120x120x38), running slower, pulling air in from beneath the case. There is one intake 120mm infront of the current hdd area, and i would put two 80s above the psu, would this be fine for removing the heat from the radiator?
Finally, any ideas on what pump i should use? I would prefer a 12v one, and would imagine it would need to be fairly powerful for this? I should probably point out, im trying this to reduce noise, not overclock.
Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• v2100-internaltape.jpg
    v2100-internaltape.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,944
I'll answer more in detail later (if no one does already) but here's a quick schematics, which is up to scale of my plans for a V2000:
v2000twin.jpg

Yes that's twin heater cores. Mount them in the door so they get maximum fresh air *without* too much dust. Mounting them on the bottom will make a "vacuum cleaner" out of your case ;) Also mounting them in the (back) door makes pump installation easier.
Also those YS Tech fans are noisy. Get PAPST or Panaflo.

looks like a rad could go behind the psu? how bout your thermochill 120.3 layed out against the back wall? would have to remove the hard drive cages though :/

Thanks for the replies so far.
SureFoot:
Mount them in the door so they get maximum fresh air *without* too much dust. Mounting them on the bottom will make a "vacuum cleaner" out of your case
Humm, I had not thought about that :/ However, i dont really want to cut holes in the sides, I think it will spoil the case. Maybe i could steal lian-li's solution to that problem though. Covering all the vents along the bottom are plates, a bit under 1cm high. If i was to attach a larger plate underneath the case, covering the fan holes, do you it would stop the dust?
If not, i would have to just use the fan holes already in the case - the 120mm at the front and the dual 80 at the rear - for two radiators, and leave the vertical separator in the case so the heat from the front does not affect the rear (I dont know if you can tell from the photos, but the psu compartment has a floor vent of its own, with a plate as i mentioned above.)
Also those YS Tech fans are noisy. Get PAPST or Panaflo.
I was thinking of the ys-techs so i can slow them down for normal use, and if i need more cfm just speed them up. The fans that came with the case are adda ones, i found the specs on the adda homepage. (Model: AD1212LB-A71GL - Speed: 1800RPM - Output: 72.0CFM - Decibels: 34.4dB - Dimensions: 120x120x25). They sound pretty quiet to me (granted, its not hard for something to sound quiet with these damn xeon fans whining away - sounds like they might be dying), but they dont feel like they are pushing much air. And they are 72CFM, most silent fans i looked at, vantec/papst/etc, are more like 50. Im going down to ocuk tomorrow (its just down the road from me) to pick up a couple of 60s for the current hsfs, so i will ask them if i can try a ys-tech and vantec in the store.
If i slowed a ystech down to a low sound level, would it perform worse than the quiet fans of similar sound level?
Also, why do you use two heatercores in parallel instead of one dual fan?

Crimedog/Xenocide:
Nice ideas, but i dont really want to cut holes in the sides of my case, I was going for the base because you cant see it (Not only does it hide my shoddy dremel work ;), but i think it would spoil the look of hte case with fan grills on the sides) The 2*torin idea is interesting, that looks like would work pointing downwards too, although some ducting or similar would be needed to stop the front intake from reusing the heated air (the front fan pulls its air from a downward vent just below). To be honest tho, for now i think i will stick with the simpler fan design.

Thanks again guys, i appreciate the help. :)

Paul

Attachments

• v2100-ventplate.jpg
    v2100-ventplate.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 563
lakin said:
Covering all the vents along the bottom are plates, a bit under 1cm high. If i was to attach a larger plate underneath the case, covering the fan holes, do you it would stop the dust?
It wouldn't stop much dust.. but it would certainly stop air flow !

lakin said:
If not, i would have to just use the fan holes already in the case - the 120mm at the front and the dual 80 at the rear - for two radiators,
Try to avoid 80mm fans if possible - their flow/noise ratio is very poor..
If you can find a 2x or 3x 120mm rad. The one sold by WA2 is excellent ! search there: http://forums.pcper.com/ (search posts by WA2) - i had to pay only 63€ shipped to my door, with 2 120mm fans. Quite competitive against BiX2 or common European rads available out here.

lakin said:
If i slowed a ystech down to a low sound level, would it perform worse than the quiet fans of similar sound level?
Good question. First don't believe manufacturer specs. They all have *their* way of measuring sound output.. Also dBA scale only represent sound pressure, but at the same sound pressure a high pitched whine is often more annoying than a low pitched hum. For instance my PAPST 4412 @ 12V is "quieter" than an Evercool @ 7V, because the Evercool has this motor whine.
Can you read French ? This is an interesting article (i think the graphs are readable without any language barrier):
http://www.materiel.be/refroid/120mmfans_2/page1.php
I plan to try low rpm deltas soon (the ones i got with the WA2 heater core) i'll keep you posted if you whish.

lakin said:
Also, why do you use two heatercores in parallel instead of one dual fan?
See above :) I just got a dual fan one. I was planning on a dual core because i already have a DTEK Pro Core. Now i'll have to see what i do of that spare Pro Core ;)

lakin said:
but i think it would spoil the look of hte case with fan grills on the sides)
Make a square hole and either put the rad flat in it (with a black rad and a black case it's neat) and fans in pulling config - ideal setup. If you want holes for exhaust you can use "modder mesh" available from any hardware store. Hex mesh is very nice ;) Square holes are easy to make nicely with a hacksaw or a dremel.

Back