• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New RAM isnt working..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Recently the ram on my older computer died, so i thought it wouild be a good time to upgrade it to ddr ram. So i looked online, and found 2x256 pc 2100 ddr for 68$. So i gone ahead and bought it. http://www.turboled.com/cart.aspx?productID=510 I also see that it is SiS Chipset only, the motherboard(s) i am using have sis chipsets. The original board i was going to use was a ECS K7S5a, when it arived i took out the 1x64mb PC 100 i had in there, put the ram in there, started it up. The system came up just fine, all the ram was seen, it continued to boot windows. Here is where the problem first arose i could say. It said booting from ide-0, then gave a nice sized windows error about a file being corrupt, so im like hey! A little format wouldnt hurt. So i put my Windows XP cd in, started to load Windows Setup....then it said PCMiCIA.sys was courrupt. So i cleaned disk, tryed again and again still, the same file was corrupt. So i tryed a different copy, same file was corrupt, then i tryed my stepdads copy of XP Home that was only used once, still the same file. WTF?!? I was thinkin it was the ram, so i put that 64mb in there, it apeared to work perfectly. So i tryed it in a older motherboard, then i figured out, 1 stick works and 1 stick dont...although if you put them in the right order, lol, they both post. So i leave just one stick in there and it gets passed the corrupt file, now i get a bluescreen. Although i only get the bluescreen with my copys of Windows FD (slip streamed version of xp pro) Then with home it works perfectly. God i hate ram :'(

i am sorry for ur probs. im am not an xp expert, but it sounds as if the memory is failing/flaky causing havoc in ur machine. unfortunately really really inexpensive ram is bought as 3rds on the ram market, because it isACTUALLY defective in certain sectors. this ram is reworked (work around defective chip/sectors) and then either illegally rebranded as brand name memory(illegal) or they just put any name and sell it for cheap. unfortunately it often fails and can sometimes take an os with it. im not saying that is ur problem but it is something to consider my friend... i would take out this ram and reformat if i had to(last resort) goodluck.l..

See the thing is, i cant even isntall xp! I managed to get ahold of my a real xp cd, one thats not pirated, and it apears to be installing fine with the stick that works. Only reason i had to go so cheap is because this is the comptuer i made for my little brothers, there ram died, time for some ddr. I look at the prices, unbelieveable. I remember getting 128mb pc 133 for 20$, now i see it for 30$, and 256mb pc 2100 for 40$ (non cheap), Dont know how im going to explain this :( Bottom line seems to be that one stick works, one doesnt, and i aint going to bother sending it back, i dont believe they will give the money back anyways. Once i upgrade the ram in my current computer, which will be 177$ later, i will probaly put that in there, Anyone here ever heard of Kbyte? I have 2x256 Kbyte PC 2100 in my motherboard right now, and a 1x256 PC 2100 Elixer also in there. It seems to OC quite well for being cheap ram, not that my oc is impressive but its all i can get outta my Cpu. Thanks for your input, ill probaly take that bad stick and rope it to a tree and put it out ;)

if the ram doesnt work, i would email and at least getthem to replace it(cant hurt) as for elixer and kbyte, they are brand name low cost stix. so they should run at spec's ok. as for oc'ing that would be the luck of the draw...

Back