• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finalising my design; radiator problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nloter

Registered
I will be building a water cooling system soon, just want to make sure I am on the right track as far as design goes:

From what I can gather it seems that the general consensus is that wide tube diameter in water cooling systems is good, so I would be using 10 - 12mm diameter tubes within the system.

The heater cores available to me to make a radiator seem to consist of tube roughly 6mm in diameter. I intend to convert heater cores into single-pass radiators.

Because of the conflict in tube diameters, I had the idea of connecting 2 radiators in parallel, and to split the flow between them to avoid the problem a single radiator would have on flow due to differing tube sizes.

Attached (hopefully, if it worked) is an image of the design... would connecting 2 radiators in this way cause problems with flow rate or system pressure?

Attachments

• teh design.JPG
    teh design.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 279
ok for one if you have a inline pump i recommend a T line and not a Res but its your choice. I think to get the most out you system you should go Pump, Rad/HC, CPU, T line. What i got my setup as and it does wonders and with 2 HCs you should get great temps.

if you are just running a cpu block then i dont think you would need to use 2 radiators
and which way is the flow going?
pump > cpu
if so then i would put the res as the last thing in the systen instead of on the other side of the rad.

I knew I was going to forget one thing...

Yes, the flow is going from the pump to the CPU.

The reason I am using 2 rads is because I would have thought a transition from 12mm tube to 6mm tube would cause problems with flow rate, with a single radiator restricting the flow somewhat. Also, with 2 rads, the water should flow thru each rad slower and so have more time to lose heat.

The reservoir is where it is so that the water is being sucked through the radiators, rather than pushed through, if that makes any sense.

Yes but the negative impact of a 6mm section on the whole systems counter balances the local increase in velocity. He will get more flow with two rads in parallel.
Nloter, where do you live ? Real heater cores (that do not kill flow) are rather easy to find..

I am based on a bit of rock between the UK and France...

I had thought of looking at other heater cores, but it seems that most of the ones people use in this forum are from american cars.

If anyone knows of a decent enough heater core that I would feasibly be able to get from a UK supplier please could you let me know what it is? :) I don't really want to start messing around trying to get the heater core from a car that is rare over here if it can be avoided.

order of components doesn't significantly affect your results.
Find a route that decreases the amount of bends, and amount of tubing you need for best results. if u disagree.. http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2384737&postcount=13

2 rad is a good idea, but it doesn't mean you remove more heat, it means you can remove the same amount of heat at a lower deltaT, or lower water temp. Lower water temps = cooler cpu.

EPirate is absolutely correct. i am being nice to the original thread starter atm and not slamming him for not reading the stickies or knowing how heat transfer works btw

I have read the stickies.

I know how heat transfer works.

I was just looking for some opinions from people with more *experience* than I have.

I think the main question is how running the two HC's in parallel will affect the flow rate of the loop. Simple answer: flow will increase with your two HC's in parallel compared to one of your HC's.

Due to the restrictiveness of your HC's, going the parallel route is a great idea.

edit: just to throw this out: depending on the size of your HC's, you will probably experience an increase in back pressure, but it shouldn't be enough to be a concern.

Xymurgy said:
I think the main question is how running the two HC's in parallel will affect the flow rate of the loop. Simple answer: flow will increase with your two HC's in parallel compared to one of your HC's.

Due to the restrictiveness of your HC's, going the parallel route is a great idea.

edit: just to throw this out: depending on the size of your HC's, you will probably experience an increase in back pressure, but it shouldn't be enough to be a concern.

More heatercores in parallel = less restriction = less back pressure. Not really an issue though, just another way of saying less restriction and more flow.

Back