• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a quick memory/bios question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ledzep

hi guys
im reading all i can get on memory & bios tweaking and there is one thing im not clear about, one of the most importante bios options for tweaking the memory is the DRAM ratio (CPU:DRAM) , in my Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Rev1.0 bios ver F8 there is a "config DRAM timings SPD/MANUAL" so far so good but thats all there is spd or manual and there is no option to change the ratio like shown in all the mauals there should be a ratio such as 1:1 ,5:4 ,3:2 in may case there is only spd or manual and the next options below are:
"active precharge delay [10,9,8,7,6,5]
"DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay [4,3,2]
"DRAM RAS# orecharge delay [4,3,2]
"refresh mod select [7.8,15,64us]
"delayed transaction [enabled/disabled]
AGP aperture size [...128,256]
PSB parking [disabled/enabled]
command per clock [auto/disabled/enabled]
fast chip select [auto/enabled/disabled]
dinamyc paging mode [auto/disabled]

my memory is 4x256 GeIL Golden Dragon PC3200 400MHz 2,6,3,3 Dual Channel DDR Kit
CPU: intel p-4 2.4C.

what is wrong with my bios?

TIA , ledzep

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong, you're probably just not looking in the right section of your BIOS adjustments. SPD/manual refers to your memory latency, not your memory speed. I'm sure your memory dividers are there somewhere. They may be listed as DDR400 (1:1), DDR333 or 320 (5:4) and DDR266 (3:2).

I've got my nephews box with that same board at home. When I get home from work I'll fire it up and if you haven't gotten an answer my then, I'll see what I can find for you. It is there, because I've seen it before, I just can't tell you off the top of my head where to find it. I think they refer to it in a kinda weird way, not what you would expect. They (Gigabyte) use funny English due to the translation thing.

Also, have you gone into the Advanced/Hidden settings which are invoked by the "Control/F1" key sequence? If you haven't, then do that and see if you can't locate them that way.

Reefa_Madness said:
I've got my nephews box with that same board at home. When I get home from work I'll fire it up and if you haven't gotten an answer my then, I'll see what I can find for you. It is there, because I've seen it before, I just can't tell you off the top of my head where to find it. I think they refer to it in a kinda weird way, not what you would expect. They (Gigabyte) use funny English due to the translation thing.

Also, have you gone into the Advanced/Hidden settings which are invoked by the "Control/F1" key sequence? If you haven't, then do that and see if you can't locate them that way.

i tried the ctrl+f1 thing it looks like it doesnt do anything special , no hidden menus open up.
thanks ill wait till you can give me more info after looking at your mobo's bios
thanks , ledzep.

ledzep said:
hi guys
im reading all i can get on memory & bios tweaking and there is one thing im not clear about, one of the most importante bios options for tweaking the memory is the DRAM ratio (CPU:DRAM) , in my Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Rev1.0 bios ver F8 there is a "config DRAM timings SPD/MANUAL" so far so good but thats all there is spd or manual and there is no option to change the ratio like shown in all the mauals there should be a ratio such as 1:1 ,5:4 ,3:2 in may case there is only spd or manual and the next options below are:
"active precharge delay [10,9,8,7,6,5]
"DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay [4,3,2]
"DRAM RAS# orecharge delay [4,3,2]
"refresh mod select [7.8,15,64us]
"delayed transaction [enabled/disabled]
AGP aperture size [...128,256]
PSB parking [disabled/enabled]
command per clock [auto/disabled/enabled]
fast chip select [auto/enabled/disabled]
dinamyc paging mode [auto/disabled]

my memory is 4x256 GeIL Golden Dragon PC3200 400MHz 2,6,3,3 Dual Channel DDR Kit
CPU: intel p-4 2.4C.

what is wrong with my bios?

TIA , ledzep

maybe this will help, under the "frequency/voltage control" bios menu i have this settings:
CPU host clock control [diabled/enabled]
CPU host frequencies MHZ [100-355]-->i can set a value from this range
AGP/PCI/SRC fixed 66/33/100
DIMM overvoltage control
AGP overvoltage control
CPU volt control [1.5250v] --> current volt

ledzep said:
maybe this will help, under the "frequency/voltage control" bios menu i have this settings:
DIMM overvoltage control
AGP overvoltage control
No, none of those settings control memory dividers.

DIMM overvoltage control
AGP overvoltage control

Do you have Memory Frequency for

Page56.jpg

page57.jpg

Last edited:
ledzep,

First of all, before I forget...are you a fan of the band??? One of my all time fav.

Answer to your riddle lies in the question that Catchfrase asked. If I have my head on straight, this is what you do and by the way, they make it hard on purpose. By the way, this is in the manual, pages 56 & 57, which if you don't have, can be downloaded from Gigabyte's website.

First at the main BIOS menu, invoke the "Advanced Features" by the use of the Control/F1 keystroke. Proceed to the "Frequency/Voltage Control" section and change the setting for CPU Host Clock Control from Disabled, which is default, to Enabled, which will allow you to set the "CPU Host Frequency" to your desired levels. Now go to "Memory Frequency For" and change the default setting of auto to one of the options, which are 1.33 (equivalent to 3:2 ratio), 1.66 (equivalent/almost equal to 5:4 ratio), or 2.0 (1:1 ratio). This goes about it in a "backwards" sort of way, but I have included examples to show it in action.

a) option 2.0 x 200 cpu host frequency = 400 memory frequency (we call it 1:1) (200/1=200 x 1 = 200 cpu host frequency)

b) option 1.66 x 250 cpu host frequency = 415 memory frequency (close to what we call 5:4) (207/4=52 x 5 = 260 cpu host frequency, as I said, close but not quite 5:4)

c) option 1.33 x 300 cpu host frequency = 399 memory frequency (close enough to what we call 3:2) (200/2=100 x 3 = 300 cpu host frequency)

I believe that this is right, but if any of you guys with Gigabyte rigs know different, I won't have my feelings hurt if you correct me.

Catchfrase, is this right?

And by the way, the Ctrl/F1 doesn't open up any new menus, it just gives more options within the existing menus. Try it out...print screenshots of the various menus, then envoke the Advanced Features and go back to the menus. You will see additional choices that weren't there before, or access to items that before were not open to choices.

Reefa_Madness said:
Catchfrase, is this right?

I have no idea, as I don't have that board, I was just thinking that maybe he was skipping by that setting because it's labeled in an unusual way. At least unusual to me.

ok guys i will look at my bios when im back from work and i will let you know.
thanks for the help.
by the way how do i take screen shots of my bios screen if i dont have a digital camera?

cheers ,ledzep.

hi all
ok i found it as you said its under the frequency/volt nemu and need to enable memory frequency to get the menu with the 1.33/1.66/2.0 modifiers.

thanks all, ledzep

Back