• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So im thinking of buying the Koolance PC2-650BK case because im a noob...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maze

Registered
I've never even built a computer before let alone built one with water cooling..and the built in water cooled case from koolance sounded like a good solution. Thing is though I hear it only cools the cpu..how much harder is it to buy the stuff to cool the gpu and..whatever else as well?

Perhaps a better question is since I have to add on stuff to watercool more than what the case comes with, should I just build my own water cooling system?

Last month I had same thought of getting same case but these guys showed me the lights real quick. That case looks real nice and has everything built in (minus the blocks) so you don't have to do much work but the down side is that the performance is not on par with a DIY system. I have never modded anything in my life but the thought of modding excites me and the satisfaction will pay off once I have completed my modding. The case comes with only a 1/4" tube system so it most likely will not be able to compete with a 3/8" or 1/2" system. Beside, after buying that case, you still need to buy the cpu block, gpu block or chipset block (they are optional). The price tag comes out to be much more than the DIY system. It's something that you need to read more about and decide if the case is worth it or not. I will have all my wc components this week sometimes and will be working on installing for the next week :)

well it depends on what your system is being built for. I think those cases are designed to cool cpu only and run at stock or reasonably overclocked settings at relatively quite. If you want performance I would think that some of the newer cpu and gpu coolers would perform just as well if not better at significantly better cost. The only downside would be the noise of all the fans.

Did you want to go for extreme overclocking or want to have just the "cool" factor that comes from watercooling?

Pre-buitl WC = quiet system - little overclock
DIY WC - for those who want quiet - but also want to keep all components cool and overclock more then a few 100mhz :)

IMO......custom is cheaper, more effective, looks better (beefy 1/2" tubing/radiators/waterblocks), and is less hassle. It takes half a day once you get thet parts......what took the longest for me was trying to figure out how to route all the tubing. Other than that it is cake.

My only regret.....fitting everything into just my case (IE, tubing, pump, res., radiator). If I could do it again I would put my pump and radiator outside the case. That way you can have high CFM loud fans on the radiator and it wont be sitting right next to your head.....and the pump wont rattle your case loose.

Just to put things into perspective....you can have a high performance custom water cooled computer for just over $100. :D

well um i thought u had to buy a cpu block cause it didnt come with it but anyway i would go with custom

Let's look at it this way. If go with PC2-650BK case (which I think is a little over $200), you still have to buy a cpu block which is another $50-$60. The total comes out to be $250 minimum for 1/4" tube system. It's not totally quiet since it has 3 fans and would be quiet if you put it at the lowest fan setting.

A DIY 1/2" system consisting of say DD D4 pump ($68.95), swiftech 6002 cpu block ($40), chevette heater core or 77 boneville heater core ($20), fan ($8-10) and tube and misc (another $20). Total about $160. Plus the satisfaction of doing modding yourself and proud of it is= Priceless.

That sums it up.

Just because your a noob does not mean you have to stay a noob. Keep reading the stickies and other post and get better educated in the area of PC water cooling. Search every website that sells water cooling stuff. Figure out what you want to do and then get what you need for it. Take your time and do it correctly and you'll have a very nice setup that you can be proud of.

hey I was a total noob, and went the kit route, and regret it because the cooling was sub-par, and ended up spending the money to go custom. Trust everyone here, read the stickies, research every part, then ask us, and finally post your final purchase and we can tell you if it will work or not.

Back