• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get past 250 FSB - should be much faster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RipD

I'm running an Asus P4P800 with a 2.4C PIV and 1 gig of Shika Xram PC4400. I'm using the settings typically recommend here for this MB, but with slightly looser timings for my ram.

Processor temp stays around 41-42C.

BIOS Settings
Ram Timings are 2.5-4-4-8 or 2.5-3-4-8 - either seems to work.
FSB=250
AGP/PCI=33/66
MAM and PAT are both enabled (tried auto, doesn't seem to matter)
vdimm=2.75 (also tried 2.85, didn't seem to matter)
AGP voltage = 1.6
Vcore = 1.6
DRAM freq = 400

I run fine at FSB 250, but anything higher and my PC locks up. I was running at 260 when I first installed everything, but can't seem to get back there. I was running fastar ram timings then as well, but these no longer work either and were unreasonable for my ram.

Any ideas on how to get this going faster? I was really hoping to get FSB 275 and then starting inching toward 300. Not clear to me where the bottleneck is.

Thanks,
Rip

Well. a lot of people lower there dram frequences or put that at lower divider to get higher overclocks. For example, I have disgusting Kingston PC3200 Value Ram and if I overclock 3.43ghz when its at a lower ratio divider, it crashes. So, I'd rather have a higher cpu clock than memory ratio or how fast my ram is operating. Really its up to you if you would rather have a faster processor, or keep standard ram clocks. Its really your choice! Btw... It kinda confuses me because it seems your REALLY GOOD ram can take higher clocks since it is PC4400. I would recommend putting higher voltage, or lowering it to about PC4000 specs if you want 275FSB. The other possibility is your 2.4 isn't a very overclockable processor. It can help if you up the voltage and lower your divder in bios. I see you have a divider of 1:1 (400mhz) Just set it at 320mhz, or if you want a really high overclock.. set it to 266mhz. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Try to set MAM to AUTO then PAT to Standard or AUTO

VCore@ 1.67V+
Vdimm@ 2.85V
[email protected] or 1.7V

Disable Spread Spectrum and all onboard devices you dont use USB Legacy Support etc......

Download memtest86+ 1.20 to test your ram before you enter winxp to avoid yourself some corrupted files.....only boot to windows if you know your ram have no errors.

After just run Prime95 small fft's for the cpu and let it rip....

Just watch your temp though make sure you got all the fans running up...

BL
Vflux

Back