• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Idle Process

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

hey...i noticed when my computer is idling this process (in task manager on windows) called System Idle Process is using 90%-99% of my processor usage. What does this process actually do? and i havent checked this myself but is this process always on? (stupid question since its has the word IDLE in it but i donno) Thanks to any helpful replied (if any lol)

It's not using 90-90% of your processor. It's the exact opposite. It is how much of your processor is NOT used. The higher this is, the better. You can see your actual usage at the bottom of the task manager.

Ummm, when my pc is idle the usage stays low, like 0-4%. When I'm running Prime 95 its at 100%. I dont know what you mean by that number is how much of your processor is NOT used, because mine is how much IS being used.

a processor is never really idle. when it is not currently being loaded by programs system idle process steps in to "use" the uneeded cycles by other programs.

like said above the higher number the better. it means there is less stress on your cpu.

Back