• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contemplating Water Cooling, what to Expect from a 2.8C ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandon Davids

Registered
I've been reading about and contemplating a water cooling solution for my 2 primary pc's. My main concerns are reliablity, noise and performance.

I'm currently running a 2.8ghz Northwood on an Abit IC7-G with 1gb Kingston Matched DDR-400 and a 6800 GT. My 2.8 is o/c'd to 3.1ghz on the stock Intel HSF.

I realize that GPU coolers aren't out yet for the 6800 and that they'll be expensive.

What can I expect to get my 2.8ghz C up to on water?

Hey, is this the same Brandon Davids who wrote bf42/bfv command and control client programs? If so, what's up dude !

I will be setting up my wc system this week or beginning of next week for my 2.8 prescott. I will let you know the result. Whats good for the prescott should be good for the northwood, right? :)

nartac said:
Hey, is this the same Brandon Davids who wrote bf42/bfv command and control client programs? If so, what's up dude !

I will be setting up my wc system this week or beginning of next week for my 2.8 prescott. I will let you know the result. Whats good for the prescott should be good for the northwood, right? :)

Yup, that's ME!!! Wasup? I was just finishing my work for the night. Some cool new features I'm implementing that will come into play over the next 2-3 weeks.

Regarding the WC system, yeah... your Prescott should run a little hotter than my Northwood, so I'm sure that I can probably expect at least what you get. I just started reading about water cooling systems. I'm mostly intersted in eliminating all noise from my systems. I'm real interested if I can eliminate the noise and then get another 10-15% oc. I've been checking out the CoolMax fanless power supplies and think I'll start there.

Let me know what parts/system you are running and how everything went for you.

If you are running Linux, we have a Daemon version of the server manager now too!

peace....

yeah, sure will. Our RnP server is purring along just dandy with your server manager. Nothing much to complain about.

Anyway, I will let you know more what's up with my system as soon as I get it running. currently have sp94 with vantec tornado oc to 3.5ghz now. My wife is complaining about the tornado making too much noise so I'm moving to water cool. I'll post the results here or email you which ever you prefer. Later bud.

my specs:

IC7-Max3 bios v1.5, 2.8E @3.5ghz 250fsb 1:1, Thermalright SP-94/92mm Vantec Tornado/Arctic silver 5, OCZ PC4200 Performance series (2x512mb), ATI 9600XT 128mb retail, 2x80gb SATA WD RAID 0, 1x160gb PATA WD, 1x200gb PATA WD, Audigy 2, Pioneer 16x DVD-rom, Pioneer 107D DVD writer, Enermax EG651P-VE-FMA 550W
ugly, heavy but spacious Antec SX 1240

DDR timing set on default (3-4-4-8) at 2.8v GAT: AAADD. CPU at 1.4875 volts for my pressie

Regarding the WC system, yeah... your Prescott should run a little hotter than my Northwood, so I'm sure that I can probably expect at least what you get.

I guess you can expect whatever you want to expect, but what you get is a different story. The bottom line is every cpu overclocks different, and there are too many variables at play that are beyond our control.

What is this program that you are talking about?

I think what he means is if my wc cools my prescott well, then it should cool his northwood just as well if not better.

The programs he wrote are admin tools for battlefield 1942 & battlefield vietnam servers.

nartac said:
I think what he means is if my wc cools my prescott well, then it should cool his northwood just as well if not better.

The programs he wrote are admin tools for battlefield 1942 & battlefield vietnam servers.

Yup, that's what I meant exactly. You can check out the programs at http://www.BFCommandControl.com

The site is down until the DNS is updated. My hosting moved the server, and it would figure that the 1.10 patch is out today.

There are a few ppl that I've sent the files to directly and they are mirroring them. I can get you links if you want. My site should be up by this evening I would think.

Back