• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression with WinRAR...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

I've used WinRAR all the time for extracting files but never compressing. I tried compressing a 600mb movie folder with 3 .avi movies, but the .rar is the exact same size as the movies uncompressed. what am i doing wrong? also, how should i go about the compression...should i select normal, or best/fastest/etc?

Usually AVIs are not really compressible as compared to files like .doc or .bmp files.

Best compression will take a long time to pack the files using the most optimzed algorithm; the main thing is the time it takes to compress it. If you just need to pack a bunch of files into 1 archive, then you can select the Fastest option.

Yakbak said:
Usually AVIs are not really compressible as compared to files like .doc or .bmp files.

Best compression will take a long time to pack the files using the most optimzed algorithm; the main thing is the time it takes to compress it. If you just need to pack a bunch of files into 1 archive, then you can select the Fastest option.

well im backing up all of my mp3's, cd images, and movies. im going to compress them then put them on dvds for when i reformat.

also, whats a good free program for writing data onto dvds? i have nero 6, not sure if that writes dvds.

nero does write dvds, when you use compression with the original winrar settings i belive its standard compression, try changing the level.

All 3 things you mentioned, MP3s, cd images, and movies are already in a quite compressed format, so using WinRAR or any other compression program won't drastically reduce the size of your hard data. I wouldn't expect much of a size difference, and plus, you would be inconvenienced with having to decompress your data before you can use it again from your DVD.

i agree with yakbak, as far as AVIs and MP3s theres no real point in trying to compress them. if you insist on archiving it use no compression or fastest. with cd images...well... i've seen 700MB shrink to 2.5MB before, so it really all depends on what's in it.

Back