• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP startup disks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndrusLRoc

I'm trying to install XP on a rig I just built for a friend that doesn't have a bootable cdrom and I cannot for the life of me get the xp startup disks to work, it never fails. When I get to disk three a file called setupreg.hiv is corrupted and setup cannot complete. I have no idea what's going on. It's an IC7 MaxII board, corsair xms pc3700 1gig, and a 74gig raptor. I've run hdd diagnostics and memtest86 for about 2 hours. Cannot figure out what's goin on here. Thanks!!

-Andy

Something could have happened when creating the disks. Did you try re-creating the disks? Formatting them might also be a good idea first.

Why do you even want a startup disk if there's no bootable CD? Unless what you want to do is simply use fdisk which i recommend using a windows 98 startup disk.

I just recreated the disks, and it's not that the file is corrupted. It's that the file could not be loaded. I'm not sure if that's the same difference or not. It's driving me crazy though.

-Andy

alien dork said:
Why do you even want a startup disk if there's no bootable CD? Unless what you want to do is simply use fdisk which i recommend using a windows 98 startup disk.

You don't use fdisk to create partitions when installing XP. XP Has its own setup program which allows you to create partitions and format them. You have to either use the bootable CD, or if you can't for some reason, create floppies to use.

Durring the first Floppy are you pressing F6, and loading the serial drivers later durring the instalation ? I think at floppy disk 4 it will ask for your drivers for the serial port.

Yah, at floppy 4 it asks for the scsi drivers. The setupreg.hiv file is on disk 3 though. Anyhow, I've fixed my problem, I just made the disk he gave me to install windows off of bootable by slipstreaming a network install of sp1 onto it and using my xp_sp1 cd for the bootimage. Thanks for the ideas guys!!
-Andy

In my experience, those floppies go bad fairly often. There have been many times when I have had to recreate one of them multiple times before they would work. Just wanted to mention that they have been very finicky in my past experience.

Well, it's kind of a problem that didn't occur until trying to load xp. Had I known about it I would have assessed it before trying. It's fixed now so no more problems. Thanks again guys.

-Andy

Back