• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

push, pull or both?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[DAD]MeR|iN

Ok I have my JR-120 rad setup with two 120 mm fans on it, one pushing and the other pulling out the end, does it work better with 1 push, one pull or both? thanks!

Well, normally I would test it out and tell yah the results, but the fans on there now are very tough to get on or off i had to rig em up pretty good, very interesting :bang head :bang head process thats why i am asking you guys, cause if it makes that big of a difference i am going to remove or leave whatever so it works better

I would imagine that pull is good but "both" is the best. Even if it does not give a high performance increase it still gives an increase.

Having done all three with that core, push/pull gave the best temps, followed by pull, and finally push.

i'm sure push/pull is better than just pulling, so if it's all set up there's no reason to go tinkering with it

If its not broken... don't fix it.

Bill Adams said:
Several fans were tested at 12 and 7V, both singly and in a push-pull configuration.Running two Panaflo FBA08A12 fans at 12V instead of one increased the heat dissipation by 17%, while running the two Panaflo fans at 7V produced no gain at all compared to the single fan at the same voltage..
source:http://overclockers.com/articles778/index02.asp

the guru himself?

assume .02c/w for a GOOD rad

that's .004c/w change

or .4C at 100w heatload

so, count on no change at ~7v, and about .5C in push-pull at 12v.

I don't have much proof to back me up but I agree with Greenman100. Too many fans just add to the noise and from the article that he posted, you don't have that much gain in performance. I plan to do a push configuration where I'm pushing cold air from outside in from top of case with 2X120mm fans for my fedco 2-302 hc and then have another 120mm fan to push warm air out at the rear of case.

Back