• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win98se boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lclark2074

master boot record is modfied :
i tried c: fdisk /mbr and it didnot fix it.
I used mscdex.exe to load the chipset but it didnot fix it
anyone have any auther idias thanks

Check in your BIOS and see if "Virus Detection" is enabled...if so, disable it. Also, when you run the command fdisk /mbr, it needs to be run from the a:> prompt...A:>fdisk /mbr (after booting using a Win98/Me bootdisk containing fdisk.exe) in order to re-write the master boot record (MBR). I'm guessing the MBR was probably infected with a bootsector virus, which is the cause of the "master boot record is modified" errror message.

Last edited:
lol, windows 98. I haven't used one of those in ages. i just downloaded the windows xp 64bit can't wait to try it on my new machine. I heard that there's some driver compatibility issues with it. does anyone know if the motherboard for athlon 64 comes with 64bit drivers or 32?

alien dork said:
lol, windows 98. I haven't used one of those in ages. i just downloaded the windows xp 64bit can't wait to try it on my new machine. I heard that there's some driver compatibility issues with it. does anyone know if the motherboard for athlon 64 comes with 64bit drivers or 32?
i have xp also but it has problems right now and iam saving my data on cdroms and dvds thanks for youre help

Could also try booting from a virus rescue disk and running the scan. Most antivirus programs will allow you to create one. Running fdisk /mbr won't always remove a virus.

Back