• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making your own coolsleves

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sonicdrive

when i was shopping for all my watercooling supplys i saw the coolsleves and i thought that i could make some a bit better so i did

**** im not responsiable for you or anyone else getting hurt in this mod****
Skill level 2 (1-10 1 being a monkey can do it and 10 nasa had problems )

This is what you will need

Standed house wiring(solid) about 50ft or if you can find it solid copper wire
a copper pipe that is the same as your water tubing
a dowl rod(wooden shaft) that will fit snug in your copper pipe
a drill
a drill bit that is the same size as your wire
a buddy ( makes it easier on you)
elmers glue or anything that will stick good
leather gloves and saftey glasses

First you take your copper pipe and your dowl and glue the dowl inside the copper pipe (leave 3 inchs out the one end)and let it dry When it is dry you take your drill with the drill bit in it and drill a hole at the end of the copper on the side that you left the 3 inch section on and drill it about half way down when that is done you will want to put the dowl end of the "wrapper" (that is what you just made) in the drill and make sure that it is secure

second you have to strip the wire down to the copper(unless you have plain copper wire that is soild) if you use the house wire you should have 3 strains of wire. Now this is up to you on what you want to do you can leave the plastic coating on or not but i desided not to for mine

Third place the end of one of the wires in to the hole that you had drilled out then you bend it around the pipe about 2 times to make sure that you have it nice and tight around the pipe With your drill on SLOW you will feed the wire around the pipe Make sure you have gloves on so you can hold the pipe steady and feed at the same time

when you are done you should have a nice spring of copper just trim and sand the edges off the tip of the wire so it wont cut in to your tubing and you are done

Just streach the wire a little bit by grabing the ends and pull gently till it is at the desire space is in the middle of each coil

to make it look really good take some tarnish remover and polish the wire when it is on the copper pipe and it will shine like a new penny
well that is all and remember be safe god only gave you so many hands and fingers

Attachments

• svcompucycle_1804_33951826[1].gif
    svcompucycle_1804_33951826[1].gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
hmm, so this thing is just a coil that goes around your tubes ah?

looks pretty cool, but you might want to be carefull with it. Copper has a tendancy to conduct, and if you have a coil like that on your tubes and they touch the back of your video card or even mobo, it won't be so good......

you could make one of these with the insulation still on the wire, or even put laquor on the copper once it is done to make the surface non conductive. I just don't like the idea of a big conductive coil running through my computer.

definately a great idea, but matt is right, also coolsleves are made a little smaller than the tubing and stay like that so they squeeze tightly on it.

Jon

copper just something i did because i was out of cash thought others would enjoy i said up top you can leave the coating on or not just dip the ends in some tool dip o well my try to make a sticky

they will be tight when you strech out the coils that decreases the size in it so that they will be snug and fit ill have pics when i get my freaken camra back from the store i broke it lol

Back