• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Beginner - Help & Comments Plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vapo

Hi all,

I am new to watercooling and have a few questions on which I hope you can help.

System Specs:
===========
Chieftec BigTower Dragon
AMD XP 2200+ (133 FSB)
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
2*Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB (Raid0)
Plan Upgrade to: Sapphire 9800 Pro 128MB 256Bit
768MB DDR333 (PC2700)
Zalman APF 400 (380W)
DVD-Burner
CD-Burner

So, I plan my first Watercooling Setup. I picked the following Parts:

Watercooling Setup:
===============
Radiator: Aqua Computer Airplex Evo 240
Pump: Eheim 1048 600l/h (~158 US-Gallones/h)
Reservoir: Innovatek Reservoir for Eheim Pumps
CPU: Aqua Computer Evo Rev. 1.1 CPU-Cool
GPU: Aqua Computer Twinplex GCardCooler
HDD: hmm???
Northbridge: hmm???
Temp-Controller-Display: hmm???

Questions:
========
1) If Im cooling all those parts of my system, do i need a casefan anyway? (if yes, where place it best? 80mm?)

2) Does the Pump Eheim 1048 have enough power (gph) to serve my system? I've read that the Eheim 1250 produces a lot more noise.

3) What do you think of the Components? Can you recommend me some alternatives? Im also hoping to bring down the prize a little more.

4) Should I use two 120mm Fans to cool the Radiator or will one be sufficient? Will there be room for OC or do I need a bigger Radiator for that?

sorry for the bad english,
thx & greez,
vapo

Okaly, First Always get a Heater core not a radator, i'm sure everyone here will say the same thing.
1) I have 1 case fan, thats because without it my MOSFETS get extremely Hot, I have it sorta stuck facing downwards pointing at the MOSFETS on the mobo.
2) The 1048 will surfice, but i'd go with the 1250, thats what i have, and as for the noise thats wrong, it barly makes any noise, Its Vibrations that it kills on, If you have Part of the pum touching the metal of your case it will make an awful noise. So if you want it silent you'll have to use lots of foam. (see Pic)

3) Never attually heard of those Waterblocks, after googling it apears to be a German Brand. The CPU Cooler seems alright BUT all there stuff appears to have Quick-Lock connections, these are bad bad, they are more likly to leak and it also looks quite narrow, that adds more flow restriction to the loop. Usually people use a White Water Block or maybe a Danger Den

Dont bother cooling your hard drives, or your NB (unless you want some serious fsb o/c). Depending on how you have your radiator fan(s) blowing, you might need more than one case fan. I'll second what Kaso said about the WB, i'd stick with something well known.

As for the radiator, what are the dimensions? If it's 120x120mm then one 120mm fan will certainly suffice, but having two 120mm fans in a push/pull configuration will really help a lot.

If your radiator fans are blowing into the case (which would be best usually) then you definently need more than one exhaust fan.

Look around, read ppl's sigs, read the stickies.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums!

Back