• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi board overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cspen07

I have a msi neo 2 865 Ls and I need some advice about overclocking this board. current specs are 2.4b cpu with 2x kingston 512 pc 3200 value ram.
I can only get to about 145 fsb when things start to get unstable.
set the agp at default 66 pci 33 and set the ram voltage to 2.7 spread spectrum off I have read most things that you guys do to acheive the best overclocks but I cant get past 145 and be stable.

I plan to buy a new cpu soon when prices come down and would like to no what is the best prosessor to buy regarding my system to overclock the ram is the weakest part. why cant you set your ram at 166 with the p4c processors the dividors on this board seem to be the worst part of the board design

back to my original question I think that the cpu is failing to boot past 150 . I can get to 150 but very unstable try 160 wont boot.

have I missed something guys any Ideas

What's your vcore set to? With the 2.4 it should be apprx. 1.52V stock and with good cooling you could take it to 1.60V without any problems.

Could you post your temps if you have them? If you don't have a temp reading program, download Motherboard Monitor 5 here LINK and set it up for your motherboard. We need to know your cpu temps ( idle and load) and case temps before we can recommend certain things. To get your load temps you can download Prime 95 here LINK and run it for a few minutes ( about 5 minutes should work, just go to OPTIONS and select TORTURE TEST, then select BLEND and let it run). For most oc'ing, you want to stay under apprx. 55-58°C load temps or you oc can become unstable.

Prime 95 will also tell you if you're oc is stable or if you're getting hard drive corruption. If it comes up with an error while you're oc'ing, you either need to increase your vcore or lower the FSB a few mhz.

One other thing that you should do is to download the newest BIOS for your board using Live Update and then flash to the newest one. If you flash your BIOS and when you restart it says "CMOS settings wrong" don't worry, I get that every time. Just push DELETE to enter BIOS and then push F10 to save and exit, it should boot up fine. Flashing to the newest BIOS usually fixes any temp errors that the original BIOS had and can sometimes give you a more stable oc.

Hmmm, other than that if you have any questions feel free to PM me ( just click on my name and select send PM) or just post the question so everyone else can see.

Oh BTW, Welcome to the Forums !!!

cspen07, Follow Meatballs advice :thup:

What are your system specs (see my signature for details that we need to try an pinpoint problems)

Sometimes it mught be something as simple as a weak power supply

I have a few other questions for you .

Are you setting your memory to "auto by SPD"?

Are you setting your memory MHZ to "auto"

This board is a great board but sometimes you will get better results if you manual enter these settings instead of using "Auto"

Since you are underclocking the memory you might want to try changing the divider ( set your memory to 500MHZ instead of 400MHz) this will set a 4:5 divider

Dave

thanks guys for your help.I installed motherboard monitor and the prime test.

set the fsb to 155 this gives me 2.8 and set the voltage to 1.55. mem set to 333 clock reads 370. dont forget that ddr 400 option is not available with the 533 cpu.
reboot and start windows. on idle temps are 53 then start the prime test after a few minutes the temps reach 71 and the alarm comes on at this point I reboot and back everything off. It is obvious that the cpu is over heating I only have stock cooling . also case temps were 42. I need a new cpu and maybe will have better luck. one last thing the temps finally reached 78 is this damaging the core at this temp. also when i raise the fsb a little higher windows crashes.

Last edited:
dcasole said:
Follow Meatballs advice
:D
Have you flashed to the newest BIOS yet? My first BIOS had some extreme temp errors ( they read 10°C high) and it was fixed by flashing it.

I would highly recommend getting a new HS for your processor if you're running those temps, Thermal Throttling will kick in to save your cpu if it's at those temps but it will cause damage in the long term if it stays at those temps all the time.

For a HS, how much would you be willing to spend? You can get a good Thermalright HS and a fan for about 50 bucks, and it is well worth the money. I have this HS SLK-948u )and this fan DeltaHHE). Look at the temps in my sig... those are the temps at my overclock, not just stock temps.

Now the Delta HHE is out of stock for the moment, so most of us are recommending either the Panaflo H1B (H1B) or the Thermaltake Smartfan II SFII.

Also, you'll need to replace the TIM ( thermal interface material or in normal english the stuff between the HS and the processor :) ). Most people around here highly recommend Arctic Silver 5 AS5, it's the best there is. That tube will also last you for around 30 or 40 applications.

You might consider doing some mods to your case to improve airflow and reduce your case temps... b/c the lower your case temp is, the lower you cpu temp will be b/c they are directly related. There's several things that you can do to lower your temps a lot.

1) Organize your cables.... zip tie them together, use velcro, whatever you have that's convenient ( remember you'll have to remove the straps at some point so velcro or removable zip ties are better). Try to route them behind your mobo ( some long, thin cables you can do this with) or just tuck them in a spare drive cage if possible).

2) Cut out the metal case fan grills... On most cases, these reduce airflow so much that the fans barely work. You can use a Dremel ( If you have one, I use a pair of metal snips) or anything that you have that can cut aluminum. If you want, you can buy some wire fan grills to replace them ( they're the wire grills that are like 1 buck at most stores).

3) If you're into modding at all, putting a blow hole on the top of your case helps a lot in lowering your case temps. For a 80mm fan hole, just take one of those micro-CD's and trace around it and then cut the hole using a dremel or a jigsaw and then just drill the holes to screw the fan into( again whatever you have that can cut metal)... for a 120mm sized hole a regular CD will work fine. You just have to make sure that the fan you choose will fit between your PSU ( powersupply) and your cd-roms.

I can't think of too much else at the moment, so you'll have to ask some more questions first :D

Here's some pics of my case if you want some ideas of what I'm talking about
Pic 1 LINK
Pic 2 LINK
Pic 3 LINK
Pic4 LINK

Good luck on lowering your temps. :)

-mtb856 a.k.a meatball :D

Last edited:
Back