• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crazy Temps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spinout113

Registered
Hey everyone!
Thanks for all your help! Now I have my swiftech setup up and running pretty smooth. I had 2 rads, a cpu block and a gpu block, a swiftech fill and bleed and a pump. My question is that my temps are higher w/ water then I had when I was using a sp-94 w/ a enermax fan. Using an abit mobo (temps are off by 10c), I idle at around 50c and load at bout 62c (so 40c and 52c real temps). I have the setup pump-> fill and bleed - rad> cpu -> rad -> gpu -> pump. I am using arctic silver 5 on the cpu. My specs are below..any ideas?? Thanks!

-Jason

Abit IC7-Max 3 Mobo (bios 15)
P4 3.0C running a 3.4Ghz (fsb 227, vcore 1.65v)
1gb ocz pc4000 ram (2.8v)

The cpu block is seated fine. It is really hot inside the case. The air inside the case and the rads are very warm. I have 1 intake 80 on my hds, a blowhole 80m w/ a rad pushing air out of the case and a rear 80 pulling are in the case. Is this enough?? What can I do about it?

Last edited:
Replacing the fill and bleed system with a t-line might help flow a little.

sucking cool air through the rads will lower the loop temp, but raise the case temp. and vice versa.

you might want the rear fan as an exhaust, so your not sucking hot psu air back in the case. get air flow going front to back; bottom to top.

Did you try remounting the block? You may think it's sitting fine, but it's really not. Make sure you use an even, paper thin layer of AS5

There could be bubbles trapped in the block. Take the block off the CPU, and move it to a low point in the system. Shake it, and that will work out any trapped air.

Graystar said:
BIOS 16 claims to provide a calibrated CPU temperature.

it claims to but doesn't. Bios 1.6 is not as stable as 1.5. Additionally, IC7 series temp reports about 10-13 degrees celcius above actual. Read

The fill and bleed system is not a problem with flow. Make sure your pump is working and make sure you blow the hot air out of the case. A normal silent fan will do. Just keep the hot air out. Your system setup sounds a lot like my prior system. Hot air inside of the case was an issue for me until I got a good fan to push it out. The water gets hot and the heat dissipates through the tubs and into the case.

Those temps you have sound like your pump is not moving water. Make sure there are no hidden kinks or other restrictions. In my current rig I had it running an shut it down to do further work and in the process unknowingly disconnected my pumps. When I turned it on and did a temp reading idol was at 56c. I was like what the hell!!! I was checking the seating of the block. I turned the fans on high and since there is no air in the tubs I can’t tell when the water is moving and when its not. I then felt the pumps and they were not vibrating and it was then that I figured out what the problem was.

With that fill and bleed system make sure you opened the middle valve when you close the other two!!!!!

nartac said:
it claims to but doesn't. Bios 1.6 is not as stable as 1.5. Additionally, IC7 series temp reports about 10-13 degrees celcius above actual. Read

Hmmmm. Interesting. After looking at that article I think the Abit readings are probably close to accurate. Only real way to tell is to read the CPU diode but I never seen or heard of anyone making a diode reader for Intel.

nartac said:
[RANT]
Oh man, don't get me started... it is garbage like that 'test' that perpetuates the misinformation. He is measuring temps OF THE HSF, not the CORE OF THE CPU! His temp readings have as much in common with actual CORE TEMPS as my arm pit. The IC7 series of mobos read the ON DIE THERMISTOR in the CPU, Asus does not. Asus uses an insocket thermistor which is exactly what this bozo is reading in the HSF. All this stupid test poves is that the 2 secondary heat paths that are being measured (his silly probe) are close. Please see THIS post by someone else who knows. In conclusion, this test shows in no way shape or form that Abit reads high or that Asus reads low.
[/RANT]

Graystar said:
Hmmmm. Interesting. After looking at that article I think the Abit readings are probably close to accurate. Only real way to tell is to read the CPU diode but I never seen or heard of anyone making a diode reader for Intel.
The Abit boards DO read the CPU diode which is why they report higher, and IMO much more toward reality.

I feel the tubes and see a few small bubbles moving , so the pump is working....for the blowhole...should i have it pull in or push out...thanks!

nikhsub1 is right. I hate when everyone says abit temps are 10C too high. Where the hell do they get this info from? Unless they can measure the temps exactly at the core then they have 0 basis for their statement.

nikhsub1 said:
The Abit boards DO read the CPU diode which is why they report higher, and IMO much more toward reality.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I didn't make this clear but what I meant was that an external reader would be best to determine the temperature. The board could still be reading the diode incorrectly, and it would be nice to take it out of the equation.

jenkx said:
Funny how we always manage to change the subject of a post. Have the blowhole blow air out.
Quite right. I second Guderian's and jenkx's suggestions. You must have outside air go through the rad first. You don't want rear fans blowing in because there's PSU exhaust in the rear (hot air). So air should go in from the bottom/front and out through the top/rear. That's why you see a lot of rads in the bottom-front of the case.

Unfortuantly, I cannot have the rads on the front due to hard drives being there and having no other place to put them. I reseated the cpu w/ little effect. I idled at 48c
:( I am using Fluid XP+ and a blue uv dye if that makes any difference. I changed the rear fan to blow air outside the case. Something else is causing a boot up temp of 48c because w/ the case open and in the middle of the room w/ AC goin freezin i still start at 48c even after an hour cool off time w/ the system off. Any other suggestions. BTW, I have a 9700 Pro and my cpu in the loop, no NB. Thanks for your help!!

External CPU diode readers have demonstrated that CPUs heat up nearly instantaneously. It makes sense that you'll never see a lower temp...even from a cold boot. By the time you get into the BIOS to see the temperature, the CPU is well heated. So I wouldn’t worry about that.

Oh, I would definitely change the routing. Go from the pump output to the first rad, then the second rad, then the CPU, then the GPU, then back to the pump. Have the rad fans blowing in...it's not the best but better than blowing out.

Last edited:
Back