• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

77 bonnevile heatercore mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

I need to purchase and modify three '77 for single-pass waterflow. The reasoning is, i found a way to fit three inside my case (one will need to me modified to clear the motherboard, however)

Anyways, the most effecient loop i could think of requires the cores to be single pass instead of double. Is it simply as easy as tapping the bottom tank and putting in a barb, then conencting hte intakes with a Y splitter? thanks.

Como said:
I need to purchase and modify three '77 for single-pass waterflow. The reasoning is, i found a way to fit three inside my case (one will need to me modified to clear the motherboard, however)

Anyways, the most effecient loop i could think of requires the cores to be single pass instead of double. Is it simply as easy as tapping the bottom tank and putting in a barb, then conencting hte intakes with a Y splitter? thanks.
Why do you need 3? 2 would be overkill as it is... If you ran 2, you could run them in parallel which will be way less restrictive than running them in series. But, to answer your question, most single pass cores have dividers in the tanks, those would need to be removed as well.

alright, but being a double pass wouldnt the bottom tank not have a divider? i would think the flow would come out of one pipe into the tank, then into the other pipe, no divider...

Anyways i need 3 because i'm doing WC for the noise, and theres going to be verry little airflow.

its actually closer to 2 1/2, i have to chop away quite a bit of one to make it fit...can i get away with that?

How little air flow are we talking here? Passive cooling with Rads is hard to do. They eventually get too much heat in them and you loose the purpose of them. 120mm fans run on 7v are almost imposibe to hear. I would suggest this. Also I have a 77 bonivile HC. There is a divider in it by the way on the bottom. If you have good soldering skills, you can cut off the bottom and cut out the divider and then tap the other end. As for the 1/2 HC, you got me there.... Is it half long ways or other way?

long ways, ish. i'll likely be cutting the fins off on one side, and i may have to cut/cap the pipe on one side. Making it single pass in that case would effectively make it one pipe for water flow...the others i want to use two pipes.

the reason i asked if it was possible is someone told be the water flows through the fins as well as the pipes...i found it a rediculous claim, but i had to rule it out.

and it will be little air flow but by no means passive. (i have a passive NB i need to keep cooled, nforce2...also two hard drives that get warm, there will be flow, and it will pass through the rads)

Como said:
alright, but being a double pass wouldnt the bottom tank not have a divider? i would think the flow would come out of one pipe into the tank, then into the other pipe, no divider...

Anyways i need 3 because i'm doing WC for the noise, and theres going to be verry little airflow.

its actually closer to 2 1/2, i have to chop away quite a bit of one to make it fit...can i get away with that?

the 2-342 would be an easier way to go if you need single pass cores (provided they will fit). The dimensions on the 342 are roughly 11 1/8" x 6 1/4" x 2" (that is including the tanks).

If those won't work, you can convert the 2-302 ('77 b'ville w/ac) to dual channel, single pass by adding an outlet in the bottom tank. the top 2 will serve as inlets. The water will be split between the channels on either side of the core due to the divided top tank but the flow resistance will be about the same as a 2-342 core.

side note - I called it dual channel, single pass because that is the easiest way to describe the conversion considering the divided top tanks will split the core into 2 sides. A more accurate description would be dual-six-channel single pass. The 2-302 normally has 12 channels that water flows thru - 6 on each side. Oddly enough, the 2-199 ('77 b'ville w/o ac) has 13 channels - if you are looking at the core with the pipe fittings facing you, it has 6 channels on the left side and 7 channels on the right. Since I mentioned the 342 earlier, it has 13 channels with all the flow handled by undivided tanks on both sides. :)

edit: normal flow path for a dual pass core:
water enters thru either side of the divided top tanks - it then moves down one side of the core thru whatever channels are fed by the tank on the inlet side of the core - the water then moves into the bottom tank and across to the other side of the core where it moves up the channels on the other side of the core to the tank on the outlet side.

single pass - water moves into the top tank and then moves down all of the channels where it enters the bottom tank and then out of the core thru the outlet fitting.

dual pass -- water flow is in, down, across, up and out. All waterflow is thru 6 or 7 channels when moving in either side thru the core.

single pass -- water flow is in, down and out. Waterflow is thru 13 or so channels, all in the same direction.

see where the difference in resistance comes from?

that being said, if your pump has enough head & flow, the performance difference from flow rate will be overuled by raw surface area (i.e. a dual pass core with larger surface area [less flow, more surface area] will outperform a single pass core that has roughly 90-95% of the surface area of the dual pass core [more flow, less surface area].

a more useful restatement of that - a 302 will slightly outperform a 342 provided the pump will push water thru it well enough. the exact amount of head and flow rate where that no longer applies is still an open question...but I will get around to it sooner or later. Also, I am going to put the single pass vs. dual pass question to rest as I have two identical cores with different tanks on them - that test is going to be done with a regular pump as opposed to the Captain Insano pump I normally use.

Last edited:
holy poo, that hurt my head...

i'm going to be using a maxijet 1200, so there wont be too much waterflow...ontop of not much airflow.

i need little resistance because its a pretty weak pump.

"The 2-342 would be an easier way to go if you need single pass cores (provided they will fit). The dimensions on the 342 are roughly 11 1/8" x 6 1/4" x 2" (that is including the tanks)."

well thats pushing it for size, the 2-302 is pushing it pretty far allready...i dont think i can squeeze out another inch or so, my case inst exactly huge...(Antec SOHO file server, regular tower...allot of people here seem to have them. came with 400W SP, it was at staples)

so i think i'll stick with the w/ AC and add an outlet, like i wanted too...and hopefully be abel to push water through 3 of them, modded for single pass without killing my weak pump.

i have a chance to head over to the "local" Advance today, and i just cant pass it up. the w/AC is still a bit expensive for me, but its about $22, i think i can manage. i'll be starting out with one, and adding the other two as i can afford to.

(i also have a neat idea for a "grill" i'd like to try! (the HC's will be sticking out of the case a bit for looks, and i dont want any damage!)

Ok weapon, you win the best answer award for the week. Now that you've won, what are you planning to do next? Hehe just messing with you. Seriously though. That had to be one of the best well thought out answer I have heard in a while.

Como- If you are going to use as many HC as you say you are, then that pump is gonna kill you. With the blocks and those, the water is gonna be trickling it way through. You will need to make an investment for a new pump soon if you plan on this woking out with anything close to decent temps. Thats just my opinion though. I still love the idea and I can not wait to see it in action

(this is como)

yeah, i was hoping that modding hte cores for single pass would help with the restriction, and the WB i chose is very little restriction...but in my wanted ad i said that or a mag3. (altrhough i think the mag3 is over rated, its common and powerful, and i heard its quiet other than vibrations, which i can take care of)

i really dont have the money for this whole setup, with a mag3 and possibly a better block this setup is pushing $200, whereas i have 60 and can maybe pull another 50...

i should be going to pick up my first core any minuit now, yay for me!

Homefully in playing with it i wont find some hole in my plan...i would like ot end up with at least two of the three, i need silence!

just a last minutit thought, if the 2-302 has 12 pipes through it, using as single pass really wouldnt restrict that much, would it? i mean, thats allot of pipes....could it really restrict a 1/2" tube that much? i dont thin having 2 of them, single pass, i na series would restrict all that much.

Also, the water in a loop wont heat up so fast in one area whle its still cool in another, i would think it would stay pretty constant throughout the loop, so why would it matter if my flow wasnt way up there? i would think 60 GPH would be plenty...the maxijet 1200 is rated at something like 300, i think 100 is easily achievable, dont you?
(edit)
it appears noone really cares much about my questions, probably because i post far too much. anyways i got the core, but it appears its brass and is copper colored in many places...i dont get to town often so i bought it anyway. Heres hoping i can work with brass.

Well, ot also appears that fitting the one in the back isnt going to be intirely possible iether. This being hte first RAD i've held, i thought it was fins with pipes running inside it, it now appears its fins with fins that are closed together to hold water, making it probably impossible to modify the adiator itself in any way. (unless of course i folded it inwards, but then theres the tank on hte bottom)

so i'm down to 2.
However, this leaves the possiblility of leaving the PSU where it is. maybe.
(/edit)

Last edited:
Como said:
just a last minutit thought, if the 2-302 has 12 pipes through it, using as single pass really wouldnt restrict that much, would it? i mean, thats allot of pipes....could it really restrict a 1/2" tube that much? i dont thin having 2 of them, single pass, i na series would restrict all that much.

Also, the water in a loop wont heat up so fast in one area whle its still cool in another, i would think it would stay pretty constant throughout the loop, so why would it matter if my flow wasnt way up there? i would think 60 GPH would be plenty...the maxijet 1200 is rated at something like 300, i think 100 is easily achievable, dont you?
(edit)
it appears noone really cares much about my questions, probably because i post far too much. anyways i got the core, but it appears its brass and is copper colored in many places...i dont get to town often so i bought it anyway. Heres hoping i can work with brass.

Well, ot also appears that fitting the one in the back isnt going to be intirely possible iether. This being hte first RAD i've held, i thought it was fins with pipes running inside it, it now appears its fins with fins that are closed together to hold water, making it probably impossible to modify the adiator itself in any way. (unless of course i folded it inwards, but then theres the tank on hte bottom)

so i'm down to 2.
However, this leaves the possiblility of leaving the PSU where it is. maybe.
(/edit)

well, they are not really pipes - they are more like fairly thin slit-like channels.
pic of a core with the top tank removed :) :
toplesscorereszd.jpg

that isn't a b'ville core but the channels are still about the same.

the wide, thin and flat channel design provides for a helluva lot of contact area between the water and the metal.

as for the water temps in the loop, provided you have adequate flow, the temps in the loop with stay within .2 deg F (or less) of any other point in the loop for the most part.

whoot. I cant see the channels, the pic is kinda small. Anyways, it pretty much makse it unmodifiable to the extent i was thinking. I'll just have to find another one for that spot :)

.2 c isnt bad, that means i really dont have to worry too too much about that. Thans for the help.

Back