• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning, an SP2 Update, (KB871246) killed my machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 and went to go and do some updates, this one showed up so I added it and all seemed fine. UNTIL I went to reboot and it would not reboot. BSOD before I even got to desktop. I was starting to get ****ed, I could load to safe mode but would not load regularly. I loaded to "last know good configuration" and it loaded fine, and I went in and dowloaded all the updates execpt for this one and the computer is back to perfect again. So this is just a heads up to all.

Does anyone know if there is a known issue with this update/patch

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (KB871246)
Date last published: 7/26/2004
This is a test package which updates Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) with some performance fixes. Automatic Updates, Windows Update, and other programs rely on BITS to transfer files using idle network bandwidth.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
How to Uninstall
Uninstall via Add/Remove Programs.
Help and support
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/bits/bits/bits_start_page.asp
Print | Close

I would really like to hear from anyone that this patched actully worked for so I can find out WHY it does not work on my rig.

I do have several (read lots) of services dissabled on my machine.

i updated that one lol a few days ago but my comp is running fine, its been on for like 1-2days now straight and rebooting and stuff works. maybe its ur comp

Ok well for laughing sake of it, I grabbed a spare HD, and put it into my machine. It was a blank drive, I tossed Windows XP Pro in and proceded to install the OS. Everything went fine, I upgraded straight to SP2 and then installed my NIC Drivers. (I have everything on CD) as soon as my nic was up and running and SP2 was totally installed I went to windows update and grabbed that update. It finished installing and I went to reboot, next thing that happend BSOD and reboot on its own. I tried again BSOD and auto reboot.

I went to my bios and set eveything to stock settings and set the ram timming to go by spd. Attempt to boot, BSOD.

It might be something with the MB or something that I am just not seeing. But it was a clean install, with only the basic drivers installed and it simply crashed over and over again. I wonder if it has something to do with the SATA drive or ??

I didnt like sp2 for some reason it changed alot of how my system worked and just drove me crazy. LIttle things, so i stay with sp1 for now`

Back