• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot nothbridge, what block would you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ukdan

burnt my finger when i touched the standard northbridge heatsink on my P4C800EDLX while priming. So i want to add a northbridge waterblock in my loop. I have been looking for an all copper or copper/ally block but havent been able to find one, all i could find is poly tops. What do people on here use and what should i be searching for with regards to copper/ally top blocks?

btw, i put a temp probe on the heatsink and it read 51c!

Shootingblanks said:
try using passive air cooling by using the swiftech mcx159 and avoid adding extra heat into your watercooling loop.

I agree, get better aircooling for that, I would avoid the huge pressure drop having an extra block would create.

"huge pressure drop", "extra heat", "add a fan" -> nooo this is not the case
first adding a fan is not acceptable (noise..)
next passive air cooling doesnt cut it, especially with very hot NB chips like the NForce series
finally blocks like the DangerDen ones have a very low pressure drop and fit nicely in a watercooling loop, for example after the GPU..

aircool the nb. Watercooling your nb is a waste. There's a lot of debate about it. Try searching the forums for previous discussions about it. Just like everyone said above...just find a good nb heatsink. I recommend the thermalright nb1, the swiftech 159 or the microcool northpole.

good luck

hazmat said:
aircool the nb. Watercooling your nb is a waste. There's a lot of debate about it. Try searching the forums for previous discussions about it. Just like everyone said above...just find a good nb heatsink. I recommend the thermalright nb1, the swiftech 159 or the microcool northpole.

good luck
Not acceptable when watercooling for noise reduction...

a 18dba fan on a swifttech 159 is unacceptable? It's damn near silent AND it won't affect your watercooled components. ukdan didn't mention anything about noise...get off of that.

hazmat said:
a 18dba fan on a swifttech 159 is unacceptable? It's damn near silent.
I can hear 12dBA rated fans 2 rooms away. Maybe because it's very quiet where i live..

hazmat said:
AND it won't affect your watercooled components.
Adding the NB waterblock didn't make a big difference in temps for me.. BUT it made a big diffrence in mobo stability @ high RAM speeds
hazmat said:
ukdan didn't mention anything about noise...get off of that.
ok.

Thanks for the comments people, but ive gone with the dangerden waterblock because noise is a concern for me.

Good choice. I just hope the retaining clips have been fixed. Those things used to be dangerous!

Back