• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a SATA better than IDE Hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermaltaker

Hello all i have 2 Samsung SpinPoint P80 160GB SATA150 Hard Drives and i carnt tell which is better SATA or IDE give me your input on this.SATA dose not seem any faster and mi Hard Drive LED dont work no more

cheers Thermaltaker

I didn't really notice much of a difference. My SATA Samsung Spinpoint drive feels a little faster than the two 40G PATA Seagates I have but that could be related to the Samsung being a newer drive. Also I have an off board SATA adapter rather than it being onboard.

I dont really think SATA offers a huge performance increase just now because drives didnt really saturate ATA133 anyway...as far as I know.

I like the smaller cables though.

welcome to the forums my friend.. you can probably get a better answer if u post this in the storage section, the guys there probably have more info...

SATA drives are slightly faster than IDE drives if they are 7200rpm, but if you're talking 10,000rpm SATA drives, the difference is quite large. The best thing about SATA drives is the SATA connector - takes up much less space and allows for much better airflow inside the case as well.

Back