• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

I heard u guys knows alots abouts memory and stuff. So i was wondering...is there anything i should really look out for when i buy my Kingston ValueRAM 256MB (2 of them)? and whats all this PC-____ stuff? whats the numbers mean? higher #'s = better?

Last edited:
yes the higher the better, unless you do not intend to overclock, then what ever speed your CPU supports would be do. pcxxxx means that it can transfer up to xxxxmb/s so higher means better. There's also CAS and such that i don't understand very well. but the smaller the cas the better. CAS = the amoun of time until you can write to column, there's RAS and cas to ras and such but lower means better in this case. go for a 222.

The PC____ rating refers to the RAM's maximum bandwidth.

PC2100 RAM runs at 266MHz and has 2.1GB/s max bandwidth
PC2700 RAM runs at 333MHz and has 2.7GB/s max bandwidth
PC3200 RAM runs at 400MHz and has 3.2G/s max bandwidth
PC4000 RAM runs at 500MHz and has 4.0G/s max bandwidth.

Basically higher is better, you want PC3200 at least for newer Pentium 4 and Athlon64 machines.

Back