• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot loader in xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peewee

how do i get rid of that boot loader when i boot my pc us, it is a black and white screen with 2 selections of xp to choose, i installed xp on my 2nd harddrive and now i have this annoying boot loader

Under "System Properties" | "Advanced" tab | "Startup and Recovery" (Settings button) | "Edit" button...the Boot.ini looks like this when XP is the only available boot option...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) | WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) | WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home (or Professional) Edition" /fastdetect

...I used the "Pipe"(|) character in the "boot loader" menu above instead of the "slash"(\) character, so it would be properly formatted.

When you see "Unidentified OS" or a second instance of the same OS/any other OS as a boot menu option, you'll need to delete the last line in the Boot.ini that starts with..."C:\Unidentified operating system on drive C." (or whatever happens to be the second OS choice in your particular case), save the file and reboot.

On a side note, you can also edit the Boot.ini from the Recovery Console using the bootcfg command.

Back