• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registered/ECC, what do I need for an AMD64 setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I might be getting an AMD 3200+ 64 setup....with emphasis on "might" Anyway since I havn't used an AMD chip in the past 6 years I have no clue what type of ram I would need for it. I basically just wanted to know if I need ECC/Registered ram? Or is any ram fine? Or does Registered hold some benifit when used on an AMD 64 setup? Thanks in advance.

Myhre

Why do the FX series need Registered ram? BTW I don't even know what type of FSB a 3200+ 64 runs at....what speed ram is optimal if I don't plan on overclocking? I can figure out what I need for overclocking if I know what 1:1 is.

Socket 754 chips no not need registered RAM. They only have one memory channel.

Socket 939 chips do not need registered RAM, and are capabale of dual channel operation.

Some socket 940 chips need registered ram, and use dual channel.

Either way look for PC3200 RAM for a stock system, perhaps PC4000 for heavy overclocking.

Last edited:
Thier is no more fsb for A64 its interpreted by saying mhz or HTT.

The Athlon 64 HTT speed is 800x2=1600mhz, but i can run mine @ 2600mhz. Altho people suggest to stick with pc3200 from my experince the system doesnt loose performance by running with divders like the p4 thats why alot of people say to stay with pc3200 ram and that its a waist of buying the pc4000 ect. Dont waist ur money on Corsair XMS or expensive ram BH-5 ram wont get you very far on these systems either. From what im seeing the A-DATA Vitesta pc4200 ram is the ram to get for these systems thats why i orderd also. They may be using timmings like 3-4-4-8 but the mhz (or fsb for u) gets up to 280-298mhz. Low Latency on the memory or high latency doesnt affect performance much because of the cpu.

But the system runs alot better with pc4000 or pc4200 ram running @ 290mhz on a 1:1 ratio that gives a huge score increase in memory bandwidth, but it isnt necassary.

Last edited:
So the A64's won't run ddr in dual channel mode like the P4's? What does HTT stand for? How do the A64's overclock on average? Like I said I have no clue about AMD's so any extra info you want to throw at me would be cool.

Myhre said:
So the A64's won't run ddr in dual channel mode like the P4's? What does HTT stand for? How do the A64's overclock on average? Like I said I have no clue about AMD's so any extra info you want to throw at me would be cool.

The Socket 939 and 940 CPUs will run in dual channel mode. Socket 754s will not. HTT means HyperThreading Technology with respect to P4s and HyperTransport Technology with respect to AMD CPUs. Hypertransport is a high speed bus that replaces the FSB to some extent AFAIK.

David said:
Socket 754 chips no not need registered RAM. They only have one memory channel.

Socket 939 chips need registered RAM, and are capabale of dual channel operation.

Either way look for PC3200 RAM for a stock system, perhaps PC4000 for heavy overclocking.

afaik, socket 939 do NOT need registered ram, only socket 940 do (opteron and some fx).

glasszon said:
afaik, socket 939 do NOT need registered ram, only socket 940 do (opteron and some fx).

Ooops my bad .... thanks.

Back