• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Upgrade - Worth it or Not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Hey Guys...

I am running the following rig at stock:

Aopen AK86-L mobo (KT800 chipset)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2ghz)
x800 Pro GPU
80GB Samsung HDD - SATA
16x DVD-ROM
Antec 480W True Blue PSU
2 Sticks of 512MB - Crucial DDR400 (PC3200) 1GB

Now, I want to start overclocking the CPU and GPU, but am worried that my Crucial sticks may hold me back some. My Crucial sticks have done be proud, as they are stable (albeit under stock) and have never caused be any grief, but I was looking into Corsair XMS sticks that have 2-3-3-6 timings, while my Crucials are running at SPD, with a CL=3?

Anywho, any thoughts? Is it worth it to switch my two Crucial sticks for two Corsair XMS sticks?

sammy5gs said:
Hey Guys...

I am running the following rig at stock:

Aopen AK86-L mobo (KT800 chipset)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2ghz)
x800 Pro GPU
80GB Samsung HDD - SATA
16x DVD-ROM
Antec 480W True Blue PSU
2 Sticks of 512MB - Crucial DDR400 (PC3200) 1GB

Now, I want to start overclocking the CPU and GPU, but am worried that my Crucial sticks may hold me back some. My Crucial sticks have done be proud, as they are stable (albeit under stock) and have never caused be any grief, but I was looking into Corsair XMS sticks that have 2-3-3-6 timings, while my Crucials are running at SPD, with a CL=3?

Anywho, any thoughts? Is it worth it to switch my two Crucial sticks for two Corsair XMS sticks?

I would try them out to see how far it can go. I have the corsair xms pc3200 512mb 2-3-3-6 timings(that timing is for P4) it's actually 2.5-3-3-6 for AMD, and they don't overclock very well on my board/cpu combo. I have a A64 3000+ with Epox 8kda3j board. I can get to 215fsb 1:1 stable. If i change the memory to 166mhz i can get the cpu fsb up to maybe 230.

If you can get your voltage up on your memory then corsair should oc pretty well. My board only goes up to 2.8v.

I would recommend the A-DATA PC4000 memory. I have those comming next week. I've read many good things about them. Timings are 3-4-4-8 but for A64s, tight timing won't give me much of an increase, obviously it's better, but i think getting the fsb up will compensate for that or even more.

-D

I agree w/ trying them out and seeing how it goes. What if they are the best ram sticks in the world and you go out and buy something else? You never know, it may work ok, at least for a start anyway

Underclock your cpu and start memtesting them. I just discovered with my memory that, my cpu is the component that's holding a good overclock back (or possibly board). I have them at 2-3-3-7 2.9v and they're stable at 230mhz. I never thought they'd go that far.

-LxOxSxI

Back