• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with .AVI files.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

For some unknown reason. Whenever I start a .AVI file in Windows media, it goes for about 3-4 seconds and then freezes. The sound still goes but the screen is frozen at the last frame.

Tried using quicktime but it wont convert. I have a Xp codec pack...so what's going on here? Any ideas?

Do you know if the file is encoded with something like xvid or something like that? The extention would still be .avi but funky things can happen with files encoded in funkey things without the proper codec for it installed.

Did this just start happening or has it always? And is it ANY avi that you can find or just some?

first you need to know the decoder... then you have to figure out if the file is intact or not. If it's corrupted then you'll either have to fix it or encode it again. Generally you should upgrade to the newest xvid and divx codecs as often as possible.

I had the same problem not to long ago. All I did was reinstall my codec pack and restarted. Solved the problem. Hope it works for you. ;)

Back