• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows update (annoying problem for me)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I finally decided to disable/remove IE from my computer completely today and just live on only with using Firefox. The bad thing is that i also decided to see if there were any updates on the windows update site. And when i tried to go on to the site through Firefox, it said that i needed IE to go through the update process. Is there any way to get around this using Firefox and not IE just for windows updates? Thanks.

Unfortunately, in order to download and install Windows Updates, you need to use IE...other browsers won't work. I'm not even sure you could access the catalog page without IE, and even if you could...there's no way to know which updates you would need to d/l and install.

Last edited:
TeuffelHunden said:
You can get a plug-in for firefox that let's you right click on a link and open things in IE. It comes in handy for situations like this :) here's the link : http://ieview.mozdev.org/

he just said he completly removed IE. lol that wont work...

just live with IE till M$ decided other browser can use the update feature.
you dont have to use IE. i only use it for windows update.

TeuffelHunden said:
even if you "uninstall" IE , it's still there. Test it by typing "iexplore.exe" into the run prompt. Unless he went into the registry and manually deleted everything, IE is still there.

Ha yup. Your right. I guess i can use the firefox plugin! Thanks TeuffelHunden! :beer:

Back