• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling for an AMD Athlon 64 3400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swatdog

Hey guys,
First off, I would like to say Hello. This is my first post here. I got myself to register here because there seems to be ALOT of info being past through this forum. :drool:

I have a question...

I'm in the process of building a system (described below in my sig) and I want to over clock the 64 3400 CPU from a 2.2 ghz to approx. 2.6+ ghz. (I'm new to the computer BUILDING world, but not new to computers. Actually I'm a System/Network Technician. Infact I've been working with comps for about 15 years, but anyway...) I was wondering what kind of cooling I would need for my Chipsets and CPU if I decide to OC the CPU that much. I was thinking some sort of a water cooling unit or some sort, or a big @SS heatsink over the CPU. I was wondering if one of you guys could help me find a good, but reasonable in price, cooling unit.

Also, since I'm just starting to build this thing, maybe you guys have any suggestions for my system... Feel free and ask me any questions about my system that would help you better configure stuff for me. ;)

Thanks alot guys,
Swatdog

I am thinking about water cooling my AMD64 3000+ which is currently running at 250x9.0. But it runs hot with the Zalman 7000. Hopefully some watercooled AMD64 users will respond with their results.

I am thinking of using basically the Dangerden kit with the RBX block.

I've used three different blocks to cool my 3400+: MCW-5002, RBX and currently the silver TDX. I really like the silver TDX! Now, the Swiftech performed quite well for the price, as I'm sure the regular TDX would. It also depends on what pump you have. If you have a good, strong pump, get the TDX. If not, get the 5002. With either of those, you should be good to go.

Shawn

Were you able to OC the chip anymore with your setup? How were the temperature changes? Right now my heatsink is extremely hot to touch when I get home from work. I am unsure if the MSI board I am using is reporting correct temps or not. But its hot, and I was hoping the watercooling would help this. Especially since I am running the chip probably as high as it will go on air.

For you, what is considered to be a resonaable price for a whole system? Is $300 too much? If not then I would say go for a WW or CC block for CPU (sorry that stands for White Watter and Cascade block). As for your vid card, get a less restrictive block like a Maze 4 (avalabe at www.dangerden.com). As for the radiator I would pick up a chevette (littler bigger than one 120mm fan) or bonniville 1977 (Little bigger than 2 120mm fans). The bigger the radiator the more efficent the heat can be dispursed. Pump wise, I hear the new 12v Dtech is pretty good (also avialable at www.dangerden.com). Don't try to cut corners on the pump cause it is the heart that drives your system. Just make sure when you buy your blocks, they say AMD64 mounting block and the vid card will say it fits Nvidia cards.s Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask... Oh I almost forgot

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I've really never pushed my cpu too much. I typically run at 210x11, which comes to about 2.31' or so. My cpu temps never climb above 30 degrees idle and 32 degrees under load, with ambient about 24 dgrees. I'm sure I could push it further, but I haven't.

Shawn

Even if it only achieves a littler higher clock, it is still going to take more heat off of the cpu. I don't see how keeping the processor cooler would not increase OCability.

I just ordered my kit from danger den (RBX, Maze4 for 9800Pro 25mb, D4 Pump, resevoir, tygon tubing, heatcore and shroud). I assume it won't let me OC anymore than my stock cooling. But I really bought this to keep my chip cooler, since my heatsink is sooooo hot. So how do you mean you heard the water does little for the A64? Cooling wise or OC'ing?

travanx said:
I just ordered my kit from danger den (RBX, Maze4 for 9800Pro 25mb, D4 Pump, resevoir, tygon tubing, heatcore and shroud). I assume it won't let me OC anymore than my stock cooling. But I really bought this to keep my chip cooler, since my heatsink is sooooo hot. So how do you mean you heard the water does little for the A64? Cooling wise or OC'ing?

Of course it's cooler, but from what I've read, the overclocking is not improving with the better temps. The jumps are happening on phase-change, which is considerably cooler than water and high-end air. Course, YMMV. That's just what I've been reading lately. I'm just not seeing the monster overclocks on water exclusively anymore. Maybe it's the heatspreader. I don't know.

I found, what looks like, a very efficient heatsink: Thermalright SP-97 Heatpipe AMD CPU Heatsink

What good will this do me, if any? Ofcourse there will be a 92mm fan blowing directly on it, with 5 more 80mm chassis fans conducting a very efficient airflow through the case... I dunno, that's what I've found thats not water cooling. I'm searching for Water Cooling units ATM also.

I have the non heatpipe version of that heatsink currently on my chip. Its still hot to touch like the zalman. I wonder if the pipes do anything more???? I cant wait to post up about my watercooling setup once it gets to me sometime next week. Hmmm same time as doom 3 ships to me. yikes!

Back