• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump vibration...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

r4fo

Any ideas on how to stop the pump vibration? putting rubber or some kind of foam between the pump and the chasis, do you think could do the job??

I found that suspending the pump works great. I just tie a piece of string around some part of the case and the pump, then make sure the pump is just a tiny bit above the floor of the case.

suspending is ok as long as you dont plan on moving your case to a lan party or anything, if you dont leave a little slack for the pump to move there is a chance it will pull on all the tubing and cause leaks or worse, plus a pump swinging around like a crazy ape can damage your mobo, vid card etc...

or cut up 3-4 half inch long loops of tubing (1/8 wall tygon/clearflex/etc) and set them up on their sides ( so they would roll if the case were tilted) and set pump on top. cheap, and effective shock absorbers.

Doesn't work too well with thinner (vinyl) tubing, obviously.

|_____| <PUMP
.O.....O. <TUBE BITS

WejRepus said:
suspending is ok as long as you dont plan on moving your case to a lan party or anything, if you dont leave a little slack for the pump to move there is a chance it will pull on all the tubing and cause leaks or worse, plus a pump swinging around like a crazy ape can damage your mobo, vid card etc...
Actually I found that 1/2" Clearflex tubing is firm enough to hold my D4 pump in place. All the string does is elevate the pump a bit so it's not touching the case.

some tubing is firm enough, but from the original post i have no idea if he is using 1/2" tubing with a decent wall that wont wiggle when suspended or small koolance tubing that is as likely to move around in the case as a rabid weasel if suspended

When I got my ViaAqua I decided it was way too loud for my liking, so I did the silence mod to it. After that, the only noise coming from it was the vibration on the bottom of my case. I decided to use the same method I use on all of my fans, rubber gromets. The pump was epoxied to a piece of acrylic and mounted to the case with four bolts with washers and gromets. And I no longer have any noise from it. Heres some pics (the pump is now painted black):

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

usualy i use rubber mmountings also but as grey has done i have done suspensions also but they where done with old HD drive cages and 1inch wide rubber bands that secured to top and bottom of case and in 1 server in the sides.

I went the rubber method.... Using rubber mounting and some "rubber washers" reduced the vibration a lot..

Back