• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Fix corrupted identity in Outlook Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Philyrich

Help on corrupted identity in Outlook Express

My operating system is Windows ME and right now I seem to have a problem with a corrupted identity (my primary email address no less) on Outlook Express. It won't give me access to my main identity, although it allows access to other identities on the same account, and all my archived Inbox messages suddenly disappeared. I spoke with an Earthlink employee yesterday who tried to help but ultimately said the error message indicated a corrupt folder within Outlook Express. Does anyone know how to fix a corrupted identity in Outlook Express? Thanks.

The Folders.dbx file is probably what's corrupted. The Identity you can load...Tools | Options | "Maintenance" tab | Press the "Store Folders" button | Note the location of the message stores (dbx files) | Close OE.

Make the message stores (dbx files) visible if they aren't already (Open Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | "Views" tab | Select "Show hidden files and folders" | Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" | Click Apply then OK). The files will now be visible in Windows Explorer.

Do a search for *.dbx files (Start | Search | All Files and folders | Click More Advanced Options | Include hidden files and folders | Enter *dbx and search | Note the locations of the dbx files. The one that is not in the location you found above in the Store Folders dialog, is the location you want to rename...Folders.dbx to Folders.old, then start OE and switch to that identity.

Back