• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Ram Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sa3atsky

Now the things to consider when buying Athlon64 ram:
1) Compatibility with motherboard (voltages etc)
2) Ram speeds (How fast it is, how much headrooms there)
3) Latencies (how low can you go? from what I've read real important for good socket754 performance)"
4) Price (How much it co$ts!)
..Right?

Now, I've read lots of forum posts and I want to see your side of the story:

I hear the Adata are priced pretty well, dont require lots of voltage, run at fast speeds but suck at latency.. Theres the Vitesta and the Hyperram Pc4000, Pc4200.. what are the differences?

The OCZ EB's: lots of people recommend them (ocz 3700 eb), theyre discontinued now but I might be able to find them if I'm lucky. Pretty fast, not voltage-hungry, tight-low latencies..

Corsairs xl: Read lots about them, but dunno much other than the fact that theyre good

Kingston Hyperx's: Very low latencies, but thats all I know

Now I'm getting my A64 system either Abit KV8 Pro or Epox 8KDA3+ with 3400+.
In your opinions whats the best RAM to get for best performance and NOTSOBIG price? Please give me straight answers (from your opinions, from what youve seen, from what youve experienced)

all i realy know about is the corsair XL series, but all you will need is one stick, so get a 512mb stick or something, and get a good rated speed, besides that OCZ seems to be pretty good, but kingston i hear is on of the worse conteders, Adata, I have never realy read much on them, and vitesta and hyperram, never heard of them until now!

I'm getting 2x 512mb's so that I'm all set on the ram side, I just have to decide what to get and I'm still confused

You would probably get better replies if you put it in the forum that it belongs; heck, you even named the thread the same as the forum it should be in :rolleyes:

*kicks to the Memory forum*

You can Find OCZ 3700EB here:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3613&osCsid=a39f6a60da571d1a18c7ca6edb9dc4b0

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-985&depa=0

Probably the best ram for your setup. Or, you can wait for OCZ PC4000 Gold Rev. 2 coming out really soon with good timmings.

"OCZ Gold Series PC-4000 Revision 2 product is the re-engineered and upgraded version of the popular OCZ PC-4000 Gold family of products. Now capable of blistering timings of 2.5-3-3, the 500MHz module is the ideal solution for high-resolution 3D applications, memory-hungry digital video editing software and extreme gaming programs. " - from descripton of product on OCZ official page.

JoT said:
You would probably get better replies if you put it in the forum that it belongs; heck, you even named the thread the same as the forum it should be in :rolleyes:

*kicks to the Memory forum*
Good point, I thought about that, but all the Athlon 64ers hang around there.. anyway, give me the feedback!

btw just to tell you, the OCZ eb is not discontinued, sean and tony ( both work for OCZ) are trying to tell everyone that they will be going strong for a few months perhaps.

so they arent "discontinued" they have lotsa stock of the chips.

Cid said:
You can Find OCZ 3700EB here:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3613&osCsid=a39f6a60da571d1a18c7ca6edb9dc4b0

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-985&depa=0

Probably the best ram for your setup. Or, you can wait for OCZ PC4000 Gold Rev. 2 coming out really soon with good timmings.

"OCZ Gold Series PC-4000 Revision 2 product is the re-engineered and upgraded version of the popular OCZ PC-4000 Gold family of products. Now capable of blistering timings of 2.5-3-3, the 500MHz module is the ideal solution for high-resolution 3D applications, memory-hungry digital video editing software and extreme gaming programs. " - from descripton of product on OCZ official page.

Sounds real good, I thought they were gonna stop releasing EB's! What else should I consider?

Archangel4life said:
btw just to tell you, the OCZ eb is not discontinued, sean and tony ( both work for OCZ) are trying to tell everyone that they will be going strong for a few months perhaps.

so they arent "discontinued" they have lotsa stock of the chips.
:) phew..

So from what your saying the Kingston's are out of contendership;
OCZ EB's are still going strong, and you think I should wait for the Gold Series PC-4000 Revision 2? When are they gonna get released?
Adata are still in contendership, I've seen people do wonders with the Vitesta and Hyperram's..
And I still dunno much about Corsairs XL's..

Tell me more!

Which performs better? the OCZ 3700EB's or the Adata Vitesta DDR500? The Adata costs a little less ($20). so how about it?

the regular adata vitesta runs to about 270/280 at hi timings. the speed tested adata pc4200 hyperram from komusa runs to about 280/290's. the eb stuff from ocz will run to about 250/260 at 2.8 volts at 3.2.3.5. since ocz doesnt play around and uses primo chips, some guys have gotten absolutely CRAZY oc's with HI voltage (300++)

Back