• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a "nicely sized shroud" for my "big blower" / "huge radiator" combo (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeakygeek

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
a "nicely sized shroud" for my "big blower" / "huge radiator" combo (pics)

For those of you unfamiliar with my project:

blower thread
recent radiator thread
original radiator thread

Pics:

ductassembled1.jpg

ductassembled2.jpg

ductassembled3.jpg

The main part I cut out of a standard 12" x 18" duct:

ductbody.jpg

Then I made the bottom piece. I cut it by hand, and had someone bend the two main bends in a brake. I bent the edges by hand:

ductbottom1.jpg

ductbottom2.jpg

The radiator isn't quite 18" wide, so I had to make these adapters. I cut them by hand, and they were bent in a brake:

ductadapters.jpg

radiatoradapted.jpg

Then I painted it blue to match the blower:

ductpainted1.jpg

ductpainted2.jpg

Total cost:
I wasn't keeping track, but I didn't spend much at all. Probably around $20 or so. The blower, the radiator, the big copper tubing on the radiator, the sheet metal, and the time using the brake were all found in someone's trash or donated to the cause :)

So yeah, I'm gettin really, really close to finally finishing this ever expanding project. Just a little more work on the vga block, and some mounting hardware and I'll have the thing running :)

Should I build a bomb shelter before you turn all this stuff on for the first time?

Awesome. I remember the thread when you first picked up the crusty, old condenser. It has made quite a transformation. Now hook it up and give us temps. :clap:

I think it's safe to say your computer won't be going to any lan parties.

But if you put that thing on wheels and did, could you imagine the WOW factor :D

And if you fill it with beer, you can put a tap on those valves :beer:

You'll need a truck and a whole team to carry that to LANs. :D

ahhhh.. there is no overkill ... repeat... there is no overkill... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Is there an entry in the Guinness Book for the biggest PC watercooling system ?

weird, cutting the grills out of case for fans gets 30 pages of responces but a radiator mod that took significantly more time and effort, doesnt get near the same reaction.

OMG!!!
*looks at his blower*
Damn i got owned!!
We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!!

btw, nice paint job :)

Back