• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tube size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billiam

Ive decided on DD4, BIX Xtreme, and a TDX block. Ive read a good thread on the good and bad about using 3/8s and 1/2s. Im not sure what to do. 3/8 being more flexible and has a cleaner look, and 1/2 lowering the temp by a few degrees. What do you guys think? This will all go into the cool master wave master case.

dont even consider 3/8" go for 1/2" ID Tubing (preferably Tygon) with 1/8" or thicker walls.

billiam said:
3/8 being more flexible and has a cleaner look, and 1/2 lowering the temp by a few degrees. What do you guys think? This will all go into the cool master wave master case.

It's not a few degrees, it's 1c at the most assuming all other parts are the same.

from this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313618&page=2&pp=30
BillA said:
same components: 1/2" vs 3/8" ID = -0.009°C/W for 1/2", for most perhaps 1°C

I personally am in the middle of changing out my 1/2" tubing to 3/8". With a block like the RBX with has two outlets, the y-adapter makes it a bit hard to route the tubing. 1C won't cost my overclock at all. I know the saying "bigger is always better", well that's just not the case if you have a pump with high head.

envy said:
dont even consider 3/8" go for 1/2" ID Tubing (preferably Tygon) with 1/8" or thicker walls.
Again, would you like to explain why? Is this a personal preference or are you just repeating the words of other members since the majority pick 1/2".

Xymurgy said:
Restrictive blocks cry for 1/2 tubing. And since you're using two blocks, it's an even bigger case for using 1/2.
But to add to the discussion, he IS picking up a D4, which is a pump that has enough head to handle 3/8" tubing.

jlin453 said:
Again, would you like to explain why? Is this a personal preference or are you just repeating the words of other members since the majority pick 1/2".

Im just repeating cuz im a sheep. 1/2" will give you more effective turbulent flow than that acheived with 3/8". 1/2" ID with 1/8" walls, Tygon - is also my personal preferance and as the majority of other people also opt for the latter i think it is fair to say that means something and makes a good recommendation for someone just starting out.

envy said:
Im just repeating cuz im a sheep. 1/2" will give you more effective turbulent flow than that acheived with 3/8". 1/2" ID with 1/8" walls, Tygon - is also my personal preferance and as the majority of other people also opt for the latter i think it is fair to say that means something and makes a good recommendation for someone just starting out.

I would say for a person starting at Clearflex60 (ordered from mcmaster carr because of cheap price) would be a way better alternative than tygon. Tygon is much more expensive and clearflex works just as well.

Don't be a sheep. Read and learn how stuff works. Just because the majority of people do it necessarily mean it's correct.

And according to this old thread, most people use clearflex60 for the reasons I listed above.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=161490&highlight=tubes

Im not a sheep, it was sarcasm mate. Tygon is unarguably better than Clearflex, thats why i went with that...because i didnt mind spending the extra $$. Granted, the benefits may not be huge, and clearflex certainly is the next best thing if you dont want to risk badly cutting your expensive tygon or you dont want to spend the money in the first place.

I did, hopefully i can now cut it right :p

Im still confuse about this debate. I still think that for +1c, 3/8th would be better. Now the debate is on clearflex or tygon :X

Copy/pasted from the link above, from two very repubtable members who know a bit (;)) about watercooling.

Cathar said:
1/2" ID is big and ugly. It's heavy (when filled with water) and it is hard to make it bend corners. Due to its characteristics it is often tilting blocks away from CPU's resulting in poor thermal contact.

At 1GPM, 3/8" ID tubing provides fairly minimal flow resistance in proportion to the ability of a strong pump to overcome that resistance.

For example, at 4LPM (~1GPM) 3/8" ID tubing offers around 0.43mH2O of flow resistance, or for an Eheim 1048, over one third of its effort is spent on pushing the water through the tubing alone. At 4LPM, after factoring in the flow resistance of fittings and the like, with a 1048 we have just ~0.50mH2O of pressure to "spend" on accelerating the water flow. Going to a 1/2" ID setup, and we effectively double the pressure that we can "spend" on performance boosting water acceleration.

For our imaginary "D5", we're talking like 8% of the pump's effort for 3/8" ID tubing. Factoring in the fitting resistance, we now have ~5mH2O to "spend" on accelerating the water flow. If we went to a 1/2" ID setup, we'd gain maybe a measly 10% of extra pressure, which wouldn't be that big of a deal next to the convenience of using 3/8" ID tubing.

Those are my thoughts and reasons.

BillA said:
yup, pretty std except for addl tubing and the temp and pressure connections
run in an environmental chamber so the #s are quite good
- see Cathar's comments above, the advantage of larger tubing is with high flow rates/velocities

Swiftech has used 3/8" ID for years, not by accident

Back