• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech's new MCP650 released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enlightend

Doesn't look much different than a DD 12V Pump. But is this the sound muffled one? Because this is how it compares to the old MCP600 (which is now discontinued):

MCP650: 33 ~ 34 dBA in a quiet room @ 2' away
MCP600: 31 ~ 34 dbA in a quiet room @ 1' away

I distinctly remeber nikhsub1 saying that he could hardly hear it the DD pump unless he put his ear to it... And yet from these specs provided by Swiftech, it is *louder* than an MCP600 (which we all know is not whisper quiet).

Nice pump, but it doesn't seem as silent as I expected it to be. The search for the perfect pump is still on, I guess ..? (at least for me)

Here's how she looks:

MCP650.gif

And here's the PQ graph:

curve-630x450.gif

Yes the same pump... I believe all new pumps, Laing/MCP600 are the muffled version now. My ears might be bad, but these things are not loud to me at all. I may not be the best judge, I do have 15 fans in my case... IMO the best pump on the market right now.

most fan manufac. measure fan noise from 3ft, which they consider is the distance from your computer to your ear i guess. it will probably be not much louder then a case man if those ratings are accurate.
but probably not for the silent computer guy with >20dba fans..
but then again, what would a silent computer guy be doing with highpreformance parts :p

is anyone using this pump* yet? Id be interested to hear some testimonies

EDIT- Pump, not block..my bad :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If it performs the same as the 600 I see the selling point of this pump as space because looks a lot smaller then the MCP600. My MCP600’s are very quiet. I can’t hear them unless I put my ear to them. And when do I ever do that on a regular basis? If I cant hear it when I’m just sitting next to the computer, than its quiet enough for me.

jenkx said:
If it performs the same as the 600 I see the selling point of this pump as space because looks a lot smaller then the MCP600. My MCP600’s are very quiet. I can’t hear them unless I put my ear to them. And when do I ever do that on a regular basis? If I cant hear it when I’m just sitting next to the computer, than its quiet enough for me.

The MCP600 was a pump with high head and low flow(which wasn't a big deal because of the head). Since the MCP650 is the same as a D4, the mcp650 has high(er) head and high flow. In other words, this should definitely perform better than a MCP600.

Korndog said:
what would a silent computer guy be doing with highpreformance parts :p

You mean, a high performance guy who still wants to study, sleep, and watch tv without hearing a 55dba Tornado and preferring near silence? ;)

The newer D4s and the MCP650s seem to have just a little less head than the MCP600 but more flo. They are not quite as powerfull as the original D4s but much quieter. The main thing with the new pumps is the MTBF of 50k hrs.

Don't get me wrong now, this is one of the better WC pumps out there ATM. It has a better curve than the MCP600, enough to go against a Mag 3 or Iwaki MD-15R. Even with the maximum head lowered by around 1' from the original Laing D4, the MCP650 is still extremely capable.

Hmm... look what swifty writes in their specs:
Our noise measurement (non lab environment)

Maybe some proper testing would help more in comparing it to the MCP600 and other pumps. Particularly, I like to hear what some users hear (pun intended) from this pump.

nikhsub1, I'm curious how to know how loud your Iwaki is. Is the new Laing quieter than it?

enlightend said:
nikhsub1, I'm curious how to know how loud your Iwaki is. Is the new Laing quieter than it?

nikhsub1 said:
Yes, quiet as my iwaki. There is not a chance in hell you could hear this pump when it is in a case. I had to put my ear up to it to hear it at all. And this sucker is POWERFUL for a little guy.

nikhsub1 said:
I saw that video... mine is nowhere near that loud. Mine is like 1250 silent. I wish I had the old ones, i dont care about noise... with lower noise in the D4 almost certainly comes with less power?

from this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313618&page=2&pp=30&highlight=billa

I have this pump (got it from DD). This is the only pump i've ever owned so i really have no basis for comparison. But i can tell you this. Before i water cooled I had two 120mm fans, cpu fan and the 6800 ultra fan in my case. Now i have four 120mm fans and this pump. And my system is quieter overall now than before. With the case open i can hear the pump a bit. With the case closed the pump gets drowned out by the four fans. I really like this pump. its small and has descent power.

FWIW

grub.

I have a Danner Mag2 right now and was originally planning on getting an MCP600, but it seems like they are getting harder to come by. The Mag2 not quiet enough for my ears, not because of the pump sound, but the vibration. I have it insilated, and it still vibrates like mad. I tried strapping it down, but that made it even worst, vibrated my whole case. What I am worried about is how much the D4 tends to vibrate. With such a small pump does it vibrate a lot compared to a danner mag2/3 or the original MCP600?

Last edited:
from what i read the MCP650 is 3.5 on the width as compared to 2.5 for the MCP600

i just bought a MCP600 when i read about it being discontinued by Swiftnet , was I wrong in my purchase?

Jen

I wonder if anyone has actually gotten their hands on this pump and gave it a test? I'd love to hear their experience

enlightend said:
I wonder if anyone has actually gotten their hands on this pump and gave it a test? I'd love to hear their experience
I have 1.. great pump. What else is there to say?

Back