• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

it just won't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper848

Registered
i built my own rig about a year ago, its got an A7N8X motherboard, and 512mb pc3700 Crucial ram. I just recently bought another stick of the exact same ram. And i put it in, and as soon as my pc recognizes the ram, it wont do anything else, it wont recognize any drives, wont allow access to BIOS, etc., it just freezes!! :mad: SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

switch them around all the memory slot until it works

even with the same exact memory, sometimes they dont work together.

nforce mobos have had a known issue with running 2 sticks of certain ram and it not working.
try clearing bios and try again.
also test it by itself just to make sure its good.

thanks, ill try it.

also, any additional suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
I hope this dont happen to me :eek:, i just bought another stick of geil tonight for a total of 1GB. Dunno about via chipsets doing that but hopefully it isnt the problem in my case!

well i wish u luck, but with this stupid stick or ram i'll be upgrading to 1 gig too!

I tried the ram by itself and it worked!!
then i tried them together, but the new one in the last slot, and i got no response, nothing on the monitor, just blankness...not too encouraging.

Sooooooooo, im once again open to any ideas!!!!

:bang head

i have an idea.
look at crucial site for a forums.sometimes they have a bios fix for your mobo.
also if need be contact crucial and tell them whats up.usually they will allow you to rma the set and send ones that the sticks spd settings will work with your mobo.
what this is the ram sticks have a bios type chip that responds with the mobo and tells it the spd settings and such,some just dont play well together if that makes sence.

this was what kingston did i think as they are the ones who had the nf2 issue also if i remember right

well crucial doesn't have a forum, so i emailed customer support with my problem and im expecting a response soon...

once again, ideas are appreciated!!!

Thanks

My idea?... return the ram and buy a different type. heh. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. Good luck w/ that

well first thing i would do, read the manual see which dimm slot it should be in. i had a similar board (a7v8x) before and it didnt like the ram i had in it before, eventually i upgraded to geil memory so it didnt really matter too much for me. i never put 2 sticks of ram in(mainly not enough $$$) that board before but it might be like my current board. heh ^_^ my current board has 2 yellow and 1 purple dimm slots, i thought "2 yellow must go together" but after reading the booklet, it said i should have one in purple and 1 in yellow. people at asus have to make things confuzing :p it might be a power issue. i know my old board was very picky on which pSU's it would accept. *shrugs* thats my $.02 hope that helped ^_^()

good point i havn't yet consulted the manual, and i ve got 1 black slot and 2 blue, and my original stick is int the black, ill look at the manual tho.

Thanks

Back