• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ctrl+alt+delete not working!!! not allowing ne thing!!! virus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhatTheSchmidt

Well I ran AVG updated and it found 2 virus's, same thing IRC/backdoor.sbd i think....and but yesterday and today I can't do ctrl+alt+delete because it disappears, and I can't run msconfig either...and a few other things like this..what do i do? what is it?!!! everything else seems to be running fine

yay lucky me I'm a winner:
JS Dialogarg A
Troj Trillian.A
both non cleanable too, but I deleted them...

both in temporary internet files from IE...I use Opera though
still can't ctrl+alt+delete....but after work I'll do a full scan

still can't ctrl+alt+delete, screen dissappears

I did the full scan with AVG updated...nothing came up, what do I do to fix this?

Ok here is the exact culprit.....
virus.jpg

PLZ HELP ME GET IT OFF!!! I am unable to do things and since it's a trojan I'm afraid of it stealing information / passwords from me

O, and when I run AVG it doesn't find it...and I can't access c:/System Volume Information...

Have you tried running the repair console and manually nuking the file?

If it's in the system volume information folder it means system restore backed it up. Right click my computer and click propertes then on the system restore tap choose disable system restore on all drives. Then reboot and it should be gone (from that folder).

good luck,
Andy

exactly what a friend told me to do Andy, and I thought it would work, but it didn't....david how exactly do I do that? I haven't had something like this b4..

Ok WhatTheSchmidt, do you have an Anti-Virus software installed and working with the latest definitions? If not thats your first step.

Next you need to turn off System Restore, if you already haven't done so. Follow what Andyman902042 said to turn it off.

Restart in Safe Mode (hold F8 after your computer boots up).

You should be able to delete your temporary files. Open up Folder Properties (My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> "View" tab), and scroll down and check "Show All Hidden Files" and UNcheck "Hide Protected System Files".

Navigate to your temporary folders, for example, if your account name was John, it would be this:

"C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temp"
and:
"C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

Now (still in safe mode) - delete every file in those 2 folders. You can go up to "Edit" and choose "Select All" to make your life alittle easier.

You still might not be able to delete certain ones, just get all the ones you can. Then do a full virus scan with an Anti-Virus program with the latest definition files, and delete anything it may find.

Hope this helps.

John

AVG was updated...so I started in safe mode then I deleted all those files, they went back to regular startup and did the scan, but nothing came up and I still have the problem!!! ><

what about a full norton scan in safe mode? also... install startup control panel then you should see a "startup" thing in your control panel (as the name says), and remove some of those "interesting" items... but because its not "msconfig" you'll be able to run it and at least disable them temporarily to see if it worked... you can also "delete"

a quick google for msginab.exe shows this: http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-7977

I'm not sure what this virus does, but it blocks the Task Manager and msconfig when you try to Run it from the Start Menu. If you click fast enough, you can end the MSGINAV.exe process from the Task Manager but it takes a few tries.

google some of the other ones too... and... check the other tabs also

lol this ****ing sucks, I disabled that virus and restarted, but it brought another one into startup so it will forever be there

try and kill it like from the quote i sent... and then attempt to delete it -

or...

disable it from within safe mode... i guess when you go to restart your computer... if its running, it makes sure to put it back in...

Perhaps it isn't a virus, but a very nasty spyware or something. Obviously if you said you turned off system restore, and booted into safemode, and scanned with AVG using the latest definitions, and it STILL doesn't find it, it isn't a virus, or at least its highly unlikely. Either that, or AVG is just missing it. Try another AV Program, such as Norton, or better yet, NOD32.

Have you run Adaware/Spybot/Spysweeper/CWS Shredder?

Also try running the System File Checker. in the "Run" box, type: "sfc /scannow" and replace any file it says is corrupt.

It is possible that someone has really screwed around with your computer via way of the trojan. If you still can't get rid of them, it might be best/safest to reformat and cut your losses.

i got this b4 and found no way out the only way is to get all ur files that u need burn em on a disk and reformat sorry to hear bout that man..

Download the trial version of NOD32 and run it, its a virus scanner, it helped me as of today clean (delete) things that Norton wouldn't. I had a nasty trojan virus, forget the name, but after running nod32 it was taken care of. I remember a while back I bashed Nod32, now I regret it, because like I said, it helped "MY" problem when Norton wouldn't. Good luck, hope this might help.

Back