• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finding my old mail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I used Outlook Express to collect all my mail from my POP account (probably over 500 messages). Unfortunately, yesterday, I had to reinstall windows (2k) and now when I run outlook, it throws me in the initial screen (first run).

Is there a way for me to collect my old mail? A lot of it is work oriented and really important.

Thanks

^^ you erased it if your "formated" your hard drive - it is located in

C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user account name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

OUtlook express is located in

C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user account name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{0B5733C7-AC73-4DC8-95AD-454773290266}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Also that long string of codes and number may be different for you - good idead to back up your email once in a while :D

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^ you erased it if your "formated" your hard drive - it is located in

C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user account name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

OUtlook express is located in

C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user account name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{0B5733C7-AC73-4DC8-95AD-454773290266}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Also that long string of codes and number may be different for you - good idead to back up your email once in a while :D

Hi,

I can't find that folder. Hopefully you were wrong about the last part of the path, because my Documents and Settings folder is still intact from my last 'windows'. Windows made a new folder (with a new user name) when I reinstalled it over the old version.

I have no folder named Local Settings. I did a search on that term to find the folder, but none showed up.

Frodo Baggins said:
Hi,

I can't find that folder. Hopefully you were wrong about the last part of the path, because my Documents and Settings folder is still intact from my last 'windows'. Windows made a new folder (with a new user name) when I reinstalled it over the old version.

I have no folder named Local Settings. I did a search on that term to find the folder, but none showed up.

Is it not a hidden folder? Did you include hidden and system folders in the search?

Frodo Baggins said:
I used Outlook Express to collect all my mail from my POP account (probably over 500 messages). Unfortunately, yesterday, I had to reinstall windows (2k) and now when I run outlook, it throws me in the initial screen (first run).

Is there a way for me to collect my old mail? A lot of it is work oriented and really important.

Thanks

i had this same problem where i formatted and backed up everything but mails from outlook thinking roadrunner's webmail had it all saved and that i could just reload it onto outlook after reinstalling. turns out that wasn't the case. had a headache but found this nice data recovery software that got it back. if your lucky and sectors of the hd have not been written over with the reinstall then you can easily recover cause i did. program was called stellar phoenix FAT & NTSF. as far as local settings, that folder is always there but hidden. i never tried to find it through there cause i figured it was all gone after the format. but the software recovered it.

I found the hidden folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Identities\{9FEF27F3-2899-439A-92BE-2CF9F14140C2}

However, there is nothing in there!

This is odd, because why would it 'not' be there? When WIndows was reinstalled, I changed my Organization name, so a new folder was created in the Documents and Settings. In my Documents and Settings folder, I still have my original Documents and Settings before the reinstall, along with all the files I had prior to the reinstall.

edit: Oops, was not looking through Local Settings.

I'm going to zip everything in here, just in case.

Bobby, what do you mean that when you said you backed up the files, but it didn't work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Frodo Baggins said:
I found the hidden folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil Trinh\Application Data\Identities\{9FEF27F3-2899-439A-92BE-2CF9F14140C2}

However, there is nothing in there!

This is odd, because why would it 'not' be there? When WIndows was reinstalled, I changed my Organization name, so a new folder was created in the Documents and Settings. In my Documents and Settings folder, I still have my original Documents and Settings before the reinstall, along with all the files I had prior to the reinstall.

edit: Oops, was not looking through Local Settings.

I'm going to zip everything in here, just in case.

Bobby, what do you mean that when you said you backed up the files, but it didn't work?

no i said i backed up everything but the mails. read it again. i meant that before i formatted i backed up everything but overlooked backing up outlook files. thats all. then the program still recovered it for me.

Back