• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing heavy NB cooler, need any fortification?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I just got my swiftech nb cooler in the mail yesterday, and this thing is heavy! I'm wondering if I should fortify the little hoops attached to the motherboard that are designed to hold the chipsink down...I remember hearing a lot of stories of people ripping them out even using stock heatsinks. I'm thinking a drop of superglue where the hoop contacts the motherboard should do the trick...of course I am assuming that superglue is not conductve at all ;)

i gained nothing with better NB cooling as i cut a large alpha pal 8942 in half and mounted that to it. my stock one never got hot either but im just obsessed with cooling so i did it anyhow as i seen no harm.

i dont know for sure if super glue is conductive or not but i didnt have no issues with the hoops pulling out tho.

Some of the earlier mobos did have a habit of pulling out the loops. I don't really have a good suggestion other than permanently epoxying the sink to the chip. If you are really good at soldering, you could reinforce the loop. I don't think superglue is conductive. Test it. Squirt some out, stick a couple short pieces of wire in it, let it dry, then see if you can get anything with a multimeter and a battery.

Back