• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Ghetto WC System! [PICS]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sucky noob

Here it is, my ghetto water cooling rig!

All you need:
Waterblock
3/4" O.D. PVC line, length may vary (i bought about 20 ft)
Small Refrigerator
Ziploc Bag
Copper Tubing (optional)
In-Line Pump (ViaAqua 1300)
1" I.D. pipe insulation
Neopreme back brace (read on...)

Attachments

• watercooling 001.jpg
    watercooling 001.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 610
  • watercooling 002.JPG
    watercooling 002.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 503
  • watercooling 003.JPG
    watercooling 003.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 471
  • watercooling 004.JPG
    watercooling 004.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 441
  • watercooling 005.JPG
    watercooling 005.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Yes, that is a ziploc bag in the freezer compartment. I cut holes in the bag, stuck the line through, and sealed it as best i could with a hot glue gun. So far, it has had no leakage. The ziploc is necessary to reduce the middleman between the freezer shelf and the water itself. i tried tupperware, but it just didnt get cold enough.

The lines run out of the fridge into the back of my computer. They are insulated to reduce the heat loss of the water on its way

Attachments

• watercooling 006.JPG
    watercooling 006.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 370
  • watercooling 007.JPG
    watercooling 007.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 358
The lines that actually go into the computer need to be insulated as well, but the thick pipe insulation wont fit, so the solution is simple. Use neopreme. Where do you get neopreme? I used a Back brace that i got from target for like $14, i cut it up and hot glued it to the line. I cut tight fitting pieces for the water block and used spray adhesive to glue the neopreme on.

When it sits overnight, occasionally there will be a drop of moisture hanging on the bottom of the WB, just wipe it off. Its also a good idea to inspect the Motherboard with a flash light just to make sure water didnt get anywhere.

Attachments

• watercoolingsmall1.JPG
    watercoolingsmall1.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 347
  • watercoolingsmall2.JPG
    watercoolingsmall2.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 316
  • watercoolingsmall3.JPG
    watercoolingsmall3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 303
  • watercooling 018.JPG
    watercooling 018.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 310
This is what my Motherboard Monitor 5 reads, 10 minutes after i turn it on...

Attachments

• chekctemps7.JPG
    chekctemps7.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 736
man that is awesome dude. very entertaining. the best part out of all this work is the ease of getting the schnaupps :beer:

after playing planetside for 3 hours with full graphics, the cpu's high was like 36 degrees, but within 5 minutes it was back to 25. An hour later it was at 17. Ususally idle is around 17-19 degrees.

"The lines run out of the fridge into the back of my computer. They are insulated to reduce the heat loss of the water on its way"

"he lines that actually go into the computer need to be insulated as well, but the thick pipe insulation wont fit, so the solution is simple."

are you saying you've insulated the HOT water from the computer, and not the cold water to the computer, or am i jsut misunderstanding?

Also, with those pipes like that the freeezer thing needs to remain open...that will burn it out mighty quick. I'd make a hole into the top/back of that and then fill the area around the pipes with hot glue.

OOH, and if you can, put a RAD in there too....imagine all the coldness that would get into the water with a freezing rad. thats allot of surface area. And i'd consider an open tray of ware before a ziplock bag...that just scares me. Maybe a coke bottle? (2 liter)

both lines to and from the computer are insulated. Eventually, i want to replace the copper coil with a radiator. the purpose of the copper coil is to absorb some of the heat that comes from the computer before it goes back into the ziploc resivior, but it prolly isnt doing much good.

I actually went with an open tray before i did the sealed bag thing. The problem is that the pressures weren't equalizing right because it was an open system. The tray would overflow. This way, with a closed system, theres no worry about water pressure

I also cut a small hole in the magnetic seal of the fridge door, so the lines could come out, while the door remained sealed for the most part. If you set the pump on a rag, instead of fastening it to the fridge floor, the system is really quiet.

okay cool. but why dont you UN insulate the line from the computer? unless the water from your CPU is still colder than room temp, which is uncommon...but if its warmer insulating is odd...

nah its just excess spray adhesive. that stuff is kinda messy.

...would be cool if it was frost though....

Back